Chapter 13

Finally! I was going to see my family today.
I was really excited and I couldn't wait to see them. I waited impatiently for my parents. Having woken up at the wee hours of the morning, I had been ready to leave hours ago.  I had initially thought we were visiting with my parents alone but that had not been the case. The twins, Gabriella and Mason were also to come with us.

We left when everyone came out. My parents had packed so many things I had been surprised when I saw them. Even " grumpy Gabby" like Nicole loved calling her, had packed things to take with her. All in all we were heavily loaded and those people at The Home were going to be overjoyed.

After a few hours of driving which felt like forever, we were finally there. I looked at the shelter and all my memories came flooding back with so much force, I gasped. It looked so small. Well seeing as I had been living in a giant house but it was where I grew nevertheless.

I left everyone in the car and went ahead. I wanted to present an element of surprise to my friends.
Judging by the time on my phone, they were bound to be in the dining hall having lunch. I tiptoed and passed by the dining hall and I could hear the lively chatter of people and the clatter of utensils.

I went to the door that lead to the front of the hall and let out a huge breath of air I had been holding. I was really anxious about the reaction I was going to receive. Blowing air out the last time, I opened the door and went in. The door creaked loudly causing a few people to turn around.

I looked around the room and I could tell that almost everything was the same.
Someone gasped and called out,

"Chloe is that you?"

As if on cue, everyone's attention turned to me and there was cries of surprise.  Out of nowhere, Sandra came and tackled me with a hug that made as fall. We laughed together but I could tell she was crying. We stayed like that for a few minutes until the Mother cleared her throat looking at me pointedly.

Rising up I sheepishly went and hugged her. She held me tightly and I felt all warm and emotional. I hugged as many people as possible until I felt tired from all the hugging and greeting. Our Mother calmed everyone down and I went to the front again to address them. Sandra was holding me by the shoulder and I could tell she was not going to let me go from the tight grasp anytime soon. I was very grateful. At least I had not been forgotten.

I told them how I had missed them all so much. I gave a short analysis of my life now leaving out the major parts. I did not want them to think I was flaunting by any chance. Then I informed them of my fellow visitors.

One of the sisters went to get them and I asked several grown-up guys to go with them to help carry the gifts. Everyone was very excited to receive a gift.
After everything was brought out, I left the sisters and my parents to help distribute them. I pulled Sandra with me since I had a special package for her.

"this phone is a gift I want you to have. This way, we can talk at all times without problems."

Sandra was really happy. She loved all the things she got but I loved the fact that we would stay in touch and connected much more. I needed a person to talk to. A person I could disclose all my secrets to. And that person was her.

We spent the whole day making merry. I told Sandra about my life, like every piece of it. She found it hard to believe but she still understood my predicament. Like she always did. She was also slightly exhilarated by my not so small crush on a certain someone. According to her, "Grumpy Gabby" could go to hell because she was shipping for "Ase".

Yeah that was the ship name for us. Andrea and Mase. Well, my best friend was kind of crazy but I loved her to bits. 

After all the jolly making, we had to leave and truthfully I had entirely avoided thinking about the departure part. But seeing as there was no avoiding it, I had to accept this and appreciate the time I got to  spend with this guys. 

We held hands with Sandra as we went to the hall where farewells were supposed to happen. She looked just as sad as I felt and I felt like crying. I side hugged her and we slowly went to the hall.

My parents were with the Mother, I had not been around them for the most part of the day. I had not actually seen any of my siblings or Mason much. Looking around I noticed how Gabriella was basking with the obvious awe and intrigue she was getting from the young males here.  She was glowing with pride and obvious joy. Yeah that's more like her.

Mason was playing with little kids. Obviously he was being ogled by almost all female girls but he didn't seem to notice or he just didn't care.  That made me smile secretly.

Nicole was busy bossing around girls her age. Telling them what to do and how to do it. It seemed like her minions were happily obliging to whatever orders was being thrown in their direction. They all looked happy.

Lastly Nicolas was showing the younger boys how to play with all the machineries they had gotten. He seemed really content at what he was doing and the boys all had big smiles on their faces.

This was a very gratifying sight and I felt happy. This people deserved the happiness they were experiencing currently. I vowed to myself that I'd keep coming to see them as oftenly as time allowed.

The Mother cleared her throat and everyone calmed down immediately. Laughing internally, I decided that she and Justin would probably make a great team. Well that was not possible since the sisters never marry. It was at that moment that I realised I had not seen Justin for quite sometime now and I made a mental note to ask my parents after we left.

The Mother gave her speech of gratitude and their most sincere appreciation. She gave the speech on behalf of everyone and I knew in my heart that it was true. This was a special moment for everyone.

After that we all got to say something before we left and I really struggled to keep the tears at bay. As I hugged Sandra with all my might, I felt a tap on my shoulder. Looking behind I saw our Mother and she had a sad smile on her face. A few stray tears fell and I quickly wiped them away.

"Hey Chloe, I am very happy that you remembered us. I want you to know that we will never forget you. You will always remain in our hearts. You will always be my little girl.  But that's beside the point, I am humbled that you came back to check on us. I am glad to see that you're in a good position now. And by you helping us, it shows that you were taught well. It is my absolute joy. I am really proud of who you've become."

As you might have guessed, I was sobbing at this point. I did not care anymore. I hugged her tightly but that was not all she had to say.

" Seeing as Sandra here has not yet gotten a chance to get into the university too, your parents decided to take her with you......"

I did not register what she said next because at that moment I felt absolute love for my parents. I rushed to them and we embraced. I couldn't believe it!  We were leaving with Sandra! When I looked at her she looked shell shocked. I know how she felt.

After all arrangements were finalised we left with a still disoriented Sandra.  I knew for a fact that she would be in the same state for sometime until she got used to this. It was a really major change. Life changing to be exact.

But that did not change the fact that I had my best friend and closest companion with me. And I just knew that I could cope with anything to some extent now. Because she was my support and I hers. We had vowed to remain each others keeper always and forever. And I hoped that it would never change.

I was looking forward to the coming days. I had a lot to teach her. My body buzzed with excitement for only I knew how it was going to be most likely.

Gabriella was in for a ride!

"Look out Gabby!  Else you won't know what hit you!"

❤️