57| Her Goodbye

Ibrahim's POV 

I find myself in the kitchen, where I'm gazing up at the rare sight of bright stars shining over the garden through the window, wishing I could see them from outside. But I stored my own inside here. 

"They are asleep," I breathe behind her.

She nods.

When my warm arms circle her waist, when my breath washes over her, she leans against me and sigh, feeling comfortable – extremely comfortable.

"I should go check on Lila and Layan. Layan always craves water at night. I didn't bring them one," 

She turn around, but I keeps my arms around her waist. She looks truly concerned. It honestly makes me feel bad for her - yet strangely pleased by the open reactions she no longer hides from me.

I try to give her a reassuring smile. "They'll be okay, Wahaj. I will give them water and head upstairs."  

"Wait don't go now," She spoke.

"Why?" I asked concerned at her fearful voice.

"Your mother has promised to kill me, and now that I am living in the same house as her, I am afraid she will make it look like an accident. Wait here and I will leave with you,"

I laughs, "What are you talking about? my mother has been so nice to you lately,"

"Yes, of course, she has, so when she kills me no one will think it is her," She mutters worriedly as she went on to clutch to my shirt. 

"I have your back,." I smile at her. She draws in a deep breath and let it out slowly. "I am counting on it."

She holds my gaze. She watches as my finger moves to her face and runs it down her cheek, making her tingle.

"And you, Ibrahim? Do you believe I'll have your back? Do you believe I'll not run away"

"We'll take it slow this time," I reassured her, "because we went so fast the first time. In the blink of an eye, we had it all...and then we had nothing." 

"What if it happens again?" She anxiously asks.

"I will always meet you halfway," I reassured her, "and despite all the chaos, Inshallah, we can find a way to make it work if it occurs," 

I placed a kiss on her forehead as she closes her eyes, "Inshallah,"

**********

For the next few days, we spend lazy mornings and laid-back afternoons. Wahaj has finished most of her credits, and she is going to graduate this summer while Layan and Lila are starting grade two.