Chapter 1

Reality has set in quickly as I realize that my summer is coming to an end. It is gloriously hot and sunny here in Oceanside, California and I'm hanging out by the pool trying to soak up as much of it as I can before I head back to school. My long blonde hair has grown even more this summer and I have it piled up on top of my head in a messy bun.  It's my attempt to keep the sweat off my neck, unfortunately it isn't really working. I dip a foot into the cool water and turn the page of my magazine. I don't think I've actually read a word in the last ten minutes, but I keep flipping and looking absent mindedly at the pictures.

"Hey Mia...earth to Mia," I hear my older sister's voice break into my thoughts. I look up to see her grinning from ear to ear. "Are you sure you really want to go back to school tomorrow and leave this paradise behind?" she asks. I will miss my sister more than anything, but I want a change and I'm convinced that leaving tomorrow is what I really need.

I look up at her and return her smile, "You know I'll miss you, but you can come visit."

Her long tan legs step to the edge as she raises arms, gracefully diving into the deep water. Her head pops back up through the surface and she rakes her hand over the top of the water, lightly splashing my legs. "Come in and swim with me one last time," she pleads. I toss my magazine onto a lounge chair and slide into the pool. The water feels cool against my warm skin as I sink deeper. I want one last swim in the California sun. I can't believe that I'm really leaving tomorrow. As if reading my thoughts, Kat's voice hits my ears, "I can't believe Mom and Dad agreed to let you go so far away."

I had always planned to transfer to Boston University after my first year at college, but my plans got put on hold when I met my boyfriend, Zack. Technically now my ex-boyfriend. I met him the end of my freshman year, so I decided to stick around last year, now a regrettable mistake. My dad's family is from Boston, but he ended up in California when he was going through med school. He met my mom and never left. As a family, we've gone east at least once a year to visit and I always loved it there. I already had prior acceptance to BU and while I'll miss my sister and my parents, I'm excited to explore a new city and meet some new friends. My dad's brother and my favorite uncle, Jack, still lives in Boston with his family. My cousin Kristin has already been attending BU for the past two years. We're the same age and we've always had a special connection, sometimes she feels more like a second sister.

The spring semester had ended with a literal "bang" when I caught Zack cheating. His infidelity was the event that ultimately cemented my decision to leave. I had spent the summer avoiding his phone calls and texts in an attempt to heal. My dad was completely on board from the moment I told my parents about my decision to transfer, my mom on the other hand needed a little convincing. I remember my dad saying, "Don't worry Sophie, Jack and Madelyn will look after her as if she was their own." She reluctantly came around, realizing that I wasn't going to change my mind. I spent the past few months working with my advisors between the two schools to make sure all my credits would transfer and to select my classes for the upcoming autumn semester. My living arrangements were being handled courtesy of Uncle Jack and Aunt Madi.

Dunking my head under the surface, I use my use my arms to push my body through the water. I'm ready to get back into a normal routine of going to class and doing homework, but I have a feeling that life on the east coast is going to be completely different. My lungs begin to beg for air as I bring my head above the water and inhale deeply quenching the burn. I grab a float, pulling myself up and out of the water. I lay myself down and close my eyes, allowing the sun to warm me as I laze around the pool. Through my sunglasses I can see Kat is floating too. Her feet reach over, pushing on my float.

"I can't believe you're leaving me tomorrow, you little bitch," her quiet laughter covering any genuine sadness. Kat has always been one to try to hide sad moments with laughter.

"Gee thanks, I'll miss you too," I reply sarcastically.

"Kat...Mia, dinner is just about ready if you girls want to dry off and come inside to change," our mom's soft voice breaks across the water. I slip from my float and Kat does the same. We push ourselves to the ladder and climb from the water. Kat hands me a large, soft towel and I wrap it around myself as I walk towards the door.

The pool water had been refreshing, but my hot shower afterward helps to relieve some of the stress that's been building over the past couple weeks. When I started packing a few weeks ago I realized the weight of my decision and it all became real. Luckily, I don't need to bring a lot with me, but trying to figure out what to take and what to leave behind has caused me some anxiety. After showering and changing I head downstairs for dinner. I meet my family at the table for what will most likely be my last meal at home, at least until the holiday breaks. Our conversation is normal and light, although the emotions feel heavier than I ever remember. Kat and I help clean up the dishes after we finish dinner, and my mom and dad ask if I have everything ready for my flight tomorrow.

"Yup, I have everything packed and ready to go," I smile at both of them so they won't worry. Mom's eyes are already glassy, they have been for weeks every time she looks at me. I give her a quick hug and whisper, "Don't cry, I'll call and text all the time. It will be just like when I'm away at college here, you won't even know the difference." Dad gives me a strong hug but doesn't say anything. He's so proud that I'm going to Boston, but he doesn't want to rub it in deeper with Mom. They leave the kitchen together and then Kat looks to me.

"Let's go out for one quick drink before bed," she says.

I give her a sideways look but agree to her request, "Okay, but only one. I have to be up and on a plane tomorrow morning."

We're sitting at the bar at one of our favorite summer hang outs when my phone buzzes. I see Zack's name flash on the screen, but I don't want to read his text right now. I toss my phone into my purse and smile at my sister. Just as I look up a guy slides up beside Kat, "Can we buy you girls a couple drinks?" His face looks familiar, especially with his mop of blonde hair and tight-fitting polo shirt, but I can't place him. Then I glance over his shoulder and realize why I recognize him. Zack is walking towards us, his blue eyes piercing into mine. I must've met this guy at one of Zack's frat parties at some point last year. I look to Kat, my eyes begging her to say no so that we can leave. She slides from her bar stool.

"Actually, we were just leaving," she smiles understanding my unspoken plea. I slip off my stool and walk behind her, my head down in an attempt to avoid any further contact with Zack. As we reach the door, I feel a large hand grasp my wrist, no such luck.