Chapter 35

Dex and I remain comfortably entwined in my bed until early afternoon when we finally hear Kat stirring across the hall. I hear the toilet flush and then the water turns on in the shower. Dex pushes up on his elbow and looks at me.

"As much as I want to stay, I should probably give you some time alone with your sister before she leaves tomorrow," he says. I don't want him to leave either, but I know he's right. Kat is leaving soon and I want as much time with her as I can get before she's on a plane back to California. We reluctantly lift ourselves from the bed and I walk Dex out to the door. His hand comes up and lightly cups my cheek.

"I'll text you later. I love you," he says leaning forward to press his lips on mine. My lips tingle when he pulls away and the cool air touches them.

"I love you," I say as he steps outside and I close the door behind him. Another small chill runs through my entire body as a rush of chilly autumn air touches my skin, and I feel Dex's absence immediately.

Turning back towards my bedroom, Kat steps from the bathroom with a towel wrapped securely around herself. She gives me a small knowing smirk, "So I guess you two made up?" Before I can say anything, she disappears into Kristin's bedroom and I can hear her laughing on the other side of the door. I decide I should probably get dressed, since the day is already half over. I continue on my path, back to my bedroom. I change out of my sweatpants and tank, pulling on a pair of my favorite skinny jeans and a heather gray long sleeved Henley over my simple white lace bra. I reach into my closet and pull out a light jacket, then slide my feet into my Converse before going back into the living room. Kat emerges from Kristin's room looking refreshed and ready to go for the day.

"So, I was thinking I could show you a little of the BU campus today, if you're up for it?" I ask.

"Sure. That sounds like it could be fun. Plus, there's definite potential to bump into some hot college guys," she grins at me.

Kristin still hasn't come home from Luke's yet, so Kat and I take the path over to the house to ask Aunt Madi about borrowing her car for the afternoon. She's fine with it, as expected, but it makes me think that I should start looking for my own car. I've been depending so much on Kristin and Dex, it would be nice to have my own vehicle again. I grab the keys from Aunt Madi and we hop into her Audi, driving over to campus. The autumn air is chilly as we walk around, but it is almost October. I take Kat around to the different buildings where I have my classes.

"I wish Mom and Dad could be here to see the leaves changing color," I mention. I remember during one of our family trips when we were younger, all my mom wanted was for Dad to drive her around for what seemed like hours, just so that she could look at all the leaves. Dad had seen it every year, growing up here in Boston, but Mom had never seen it in person before. It really is amazing the way they all change from green to so many warm and beautiful colors.

It's Sunday and campus seems a little quieter compared to normal day. We still see people walking around and a few small groups gathered, but it's definitely not as busy as a typical school day. After walking around in the cold air, we decide to stop and get a couple hot drinks at Starbucks. I order my fall favorite; a pumpkin spice latte and Kat gives me a disgusted look. "I can't believe you like that pumpkin spice shit. It's so gross," she says sticking her tongue out and making a gagging face. After a few minutes the barista calls out our names handing us our paper cups. As we turn to leave, the door opens and Avery steps inside.

She smiles in my direction, "Hey Mia."

"Hi Avery." I return her smile and ask, "What are you up to?"

"Just grabbing a latte before I head over to see Chris. Sounds like the boys might be putting a little party together for tonight. Will I see you there?" she asks.