Chapter 30

I truly can't believe my birthday is here already. I haven't seen Dex in days, since our ride to campus together on Monday morning. We've been texting a lot, but it's not the same as actually spending time together. I wish we could have stayed in the little bubble we created over the weekend, but a new week started and that meant going back to classes and practice. I'm extremely tempted to roll over and go back to sleep, but I'm hoping if I go with Kristin to campus and go to my English class, maybe Dex will make time to see me during the day. For this reason alone, I pull myself out of bed determined to have a good birthday.

I'm still disappointed that my parents decided not to make the trip to Boston, but I have dinner plans with Kristin, along with Uncle Jack and Aunt Madi. I start to pull out my dresser drawers to find something to wear. I quickly decide on my favorite skinny jeans and my new raspberry scoop neck that I haven't worn yet. I slide my feet into a pair of black heeled booties and then head into the bathroom. After rinsing my face and brushing my teeth, I grab my make-up bag. I use my pencil to draw a thin black line around my eyes and then dust my lids with a sparkling gold powder, before running the mascara wand over my lashes. I pull a brush through my hair and walk towards the kitchen in need of coffee.

I'm surprised to see Kristin awake and ready to go in the living room. She looks at me with a large smile, "Happy twenty-first!" she jumps up and gives me a big hug, shoving a small gift bag into my hands. "It's nothing big, but I thought you might like it." I pull the silver tissue paper from the bag and find an adorable winter hat. It's white with a red pom pom on top and the letters BU on the side, also in red. "I thought it would be cute to wear to the games," she smiles.

"It's perfect. Thank you," I say.

As I make my cup of coffee in the kitchen, my phone begins to ring and I see 'Mom' flash on the screen. I slide my thumb over the glass and answer, "Good morning, Mom. You're up early."

Her sweet voice comes through the line, "Good morning, honey. I wanted to try to catch you before you went off to your classes today. Happy birthday!"

Tears are already pooling in the corners of my eyes and my voice is shakier than I intend, "Thanks Mom. It's so good to hear your voice." I know she can tell that I'm not my cheerful self.

"Are you okay?" she asks.

"I am. I'm just missing you and Dad, and Kat," I say as the tears begin to spill over and run down my cheeks.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry we can't be there for you today. I wish I could give you a big hug right now. Your dad and I miss you so much and we know it's tough being so far away," I can hear her voice starting to crack too. "Here, talk to your dad for a minute."

"Happy birthday sweetheart!" My dad's cheerful voice hits my ear.

"Hey, Pops! You headed out to work?" I ask, knowing that he's probably getting ready to head to the office.

"I am, but first I wanted to wish my baby girl a very happy twenty-first birthday. Your mom and I have sent a little gift, it should be arriving sometime later this afternoon. You have a happy day, we love you. Here's your mom again, I've got to run," he says.

"Thanks Dad, love you!" I reply. My mom is back on the phone, seeming to have pulled herself together a little. "I'm sorry, Mom. I didn't mean to say anything to upset you. I'm really happy you called, you made my day," I tell her, feeling guilty for making her cry.

"It's okay Mia, you didn't do anything. I just miss you so much, especially on your birthday. I love you so very much and I hope you have a great day," her words feel like a warm hug wrapping around me.

"I love you too, Mom. I'll talk to you again soon," I say right before clicking the end button. I sit on the couch and sip my coffee taking a few deep cleansing breaths, trying to pull myself together before we head off to campus.