Chapter 7

Kristin decided that she needed another shower before her night out with Luke. She's been trying to convince me to come out with them, especially since they're just going to one of their favorite hangouts to meet a few friends. I do want to meet her friends, but I'm still a little nervous and hesitant to tag along. I'm sitting on the couch relaxing when there's a knock at the door. I get up to answer and there stands the attractive guy from the pictures I've seen. He's even better looking in person.

"You must be Luke," I say as I wave my arm for him to come inside. He has a similar build to his brother, but his hair is cut shorter on top and seems to be a little lighter in color. He's tall, he must be at least six feet and his shoulders and chest are broad under his red BU Hockey t-shirt.

"And you must be Mia, the California cousin," he flashes a smile as he walks through the door.

I can't help but smile back, "Yup, that's me."

"So, are you coming out with us tonight or what? You can meet some people, but rumor has it you already met my brother," he teases playfully. I can feel my cheeks getting warmer. I can't believe Kristin told him, how embarrassing.

"I didn't actually meet him. Kristin just happened to point him out to me while we were touring the fitness center earlier," I casually brush it off but I notice him laugh a little to himself.

"You really should come out with us tonight," he continues.

"Yes, you should!" Kristin calls from the hallway as she makes her way from the bathroom to her bedroom. Luke disappears down the hallway, joining her. I think about it for a few minutes and decide they're both right. I want to see more of the city and meet Kristin's friends. I leave the living room to go get ready for a night out.

We end up at a smaller bar, obviously a hangout spot for college students, or at least a college aged crowd. Kristin and Luke make an entrance like they own the place. I love my cousin's confidence; it's inspiring to watch. We approach a table with a small group already sitting down and Kristin introduces me around. My immediate impression is that they all seem super friendly, even though they proceed to ask me a million questions about California. I'm really hoping the attraction wears off quickly. It turns out the two guys at the table, Logan and Tyler, are teammates of Luke's. I can feel them looking at me, but I'm sure it's just because I'm something new and different for them to check out. I try my best to ignore the extra attention and instead I turn to Kristin and her friend Courtney. Courtney is cute and perky with a petite from and long brunette hair. She's been one of Kristin's best friends since high school. I have heard a lot about her over the years, but never met her, despite multiple family vacations. Through discussion I easily realize that she and Tyler are together. I get a little sinking feeling in my stomach, and I hope they aren't trying to set me up with Logan. As much as I'm ready to move on from Zack, I'm not sure I'm ready to be set up with anyone yet. My feelings are quickly squashed when our waitress approaches the table and leans into Logan, planting her lips right on his. It turns out that he's dating our waitress, Cami. Kristin whispers to me that Logan and Cami are still a new couple and she works summers at the bar to make extra money. Our group decides to order a few apps to share and following Kristin's lead, I order a margarita to drink.

We're busy chatting and waiting for our food to arrive when Tyler looks up over my shoulder and says, "Oh hell, look who just walked in."

Logan follows him up with a loud, "Hey Cap. What the fuck are you doing here alone? Thought you were staying in tonight."

Luke quickly butts in, "Do not call him Cap, that sounds so fucking lame."

I turn and glance over my shoulder to see who they're talking to and about. It's the body from the fitness center, I recognize it even though it's now covered with a t-shirt and jeans. I bring my gaze up and finally see the face that goes along with the body. He has a strong looking jaw and full lips. His cheeks are covered in a short layer of scruffiness. His eyebrows are thick and dark like his hair, and his eyes are a deep warm brown, like melted chocolate. He runs a hand through his hair, pushing it back slightly as he walks towards the table. His lips break into an amazing smile as he laughs at the stupidity of the guys comments.

"Well, I sure as hell didn't come here expecting to see your stupid asses," his deep voice comes out in a laugh. "I just planned to grab a quick beer while I wait for my takeout order."

"Sit with us while you wait," Luke says pushing out a chair with his foot.

He grabs the back of the chair beside me, pulling it out even further and then sits down. He turns his gaze towards me, "You must be the California girl," his tone is playful.

Kristin speaks before I can get a word out, "That's my cousin, Mia. Mia Larsen."

"Nice to meet you, Mia. I'm Dex Miller, Luke's older brother. Not to mention smarter and better looking," He laughs again.

"Hey!" Luke and Kristin both shout at the same time, which only gets the whole table roaring in laughter.

"Okay, probably a stupid question, but since I'm the new one here cut me a little slack. Your name is Dex, I don't understand why they're calling you Cap. Is it some sort of inside joke?" I ask, completely confused by what Logan and Luke had been saying.

"Well, I'm team captain this year, so it all started with that. For some reason Logan thinks it sounds 'cool' to call me Cap, but I have to agree with my brother on this one. It sounds completely fucking lame," He explains. Logan shrugs and puts his hands up in defeat as everyone laughs again.

Dex only stays long enough to drink one beer and then his food is ready. As he stands to leave Kristin stops him, "Will we see you tomorrow?"

He looks down at her confused, "What's tomorrow?"

She looks to Luke, "You didn't tell him," she says clearly irritated. "We're having a little welcome party for Mia. My parents are going out of town for the night, so they said we could use the backyard and the pool as long as keep it clean. Any time after 3."

He smiles at Kristin, "I'll be there." His eyes meet mine for a fraction of a secondas he turns to leave. After meeting andspending time with Kristin's group of friends I think that I will definitelyfit in easily with this group. It makessense, given that Kristin and I have such similar personalities. My eyes move from the door back to the grouparound the table and I feel a little shiver run through me. I realize I'm looking forward to the partytomorrow and part of it is because I will get to see a little more of Dex.