Chapter 24

I throw my shopping bags and backpack into my room and head into the bathroom. I touch up my make-up and run a brush through my hair. I decide to put together a simple dinner for me and Dex.

I find everything that I need in the kitchen, so thankful that Aunt Madi has stocked our cabinets again. I'll have to remember to thank her next time I actually see her. After filling a large pot with water, I set it on the stovetop over the heat. Once the water starts to boil, I drop in some pasta. In a smaller sauce pan I empty a jar of spaghetti sauce, and add some sliced precooked chicken sausage. I pull out plates and silverware while the sauce simmers.

I take a minute to check my phone and I have a new text from Kat. I read *Look what I did last night 😊 and she's attached a picture of her obviously out at a club, kissing some guy on the cheek. I smile just reading it and I quickly send back a little smiley face of my own. I see a new text from Dex too, *Leaving the arena now. Be there soon. I see that it came through about ten minutes ago, so he'll probably be here soon. My heart immediately starts to beat a little faster at my anticipation of seeing him.

In the kitchen, I grab a colander and set it in the sink. I grab the pasta pot and pour it out, draining the steaming water. Then I stir the sauce and turn the heat to low so it will stay warm. I step into the living room and turn on the Pandora streaming channel wo we'll have some music to listen to while we eat. There's a knock at the door, so I say, "Come in."

The door opens and Dex appears. I soak in the sight of him. He looks breathtaking as always in his loose-fitting jeans and navy blue t-shirt, with his baseball cap turned backwards on his head. I walk towards him and wrap my arms around his back before planting a kiss on his lips. He kisses me back and I open my lips, allowing his tongue to push through. I feel a familiar warming sensation through my body that radiates down between my thighs. The things this man does to me, I'm panting with only a kiss. Our lips pull apart and his eyes seem darker than usual. For a second, I expect him to throw me over his should and take me to the bedroom, but then he looks toward the kitchen.

"Something smells delicious," he says. "Did you cook for me?"

I smile, "I figured you'd be hungry after practice. It's just pasta, no big deal."

He looks at me and leans closer to my ear, "It smells almost as good as you," he whispers making me quiver ever so slightly. "No girl has ever cooked for me before, other than my mom of course."

I grab his hand and pull him into the small kitchen. "Let's eat before it gets cold."

We sit at the table and eat our pasta, chatting about classes and hockey. He tells me that he still hates his math class and the professor is a complete moron, which makes me laugh hysterically. I ask how practices are going and he says they've gotten more intense now that the first game of the season is only a couple weeks away. We finish our meal and I put the dishes in the sink, I'll clean them later or in the morning. Right now, I just want to spend as much time with Dex as I can.

Dex is already relaxing on the couch scrolling for something to watch on Netflix. I sit down next to him and rest my head comfortably against his shoulder. He clicks on a new show that neither of us has seen before and sets the remote down on the table. His body feels so warm against mine; I reach my hand up and run it down his chest, able to feel the rigid muscles underneath his shirt. He looks down at me and leans in to kiss me gently. I want more, but I can tell he's tired and I'm hesitant since I know he'll be going home tonight. Instead I snuggle into him more and focus my attention on the TV screen. The show ends up being pretty good, but I notice half way through that Dex's breathing has changed. I look up at him and see that he's fallen asleep. I knew he was tired. I pull myself up and off of him and gently begin to rub his leg to try to wake him.

"Dex," I say lightly as not to startle him. His eyes open but he still looks half asleep.

"I'm so sorry I fell asleep. I've been looking forward to seeing you all day, I can't believe I did that," he says sounding angry with himself.

I give him a little kiss and say, "It's okay. I know how hard you've been working, between school and hockey. You're obviously exhausted. You should probably go home so you can get a good night's sleep." Then I take a chance and ask, "When will I see you again?" The way he looks back at me I can tell he doesn't have an answer. This is how the past few weeks have been, with us sneaking random times as his schedule allows. I frown, even though I know it's not his fault.

"Please don't make that sad face," he says as he brings a hand up to rest on my cheek. I lean into his palm and force a smile. "I don't want that fake smile either," he says as he leans forward to kiss me. "I'll text you tomorrow, okay? Maybe we can meet up on campus for lunch or something," he says trying to appease me.

"Okay," I say with obvious disappointment. I know he's busy with hockey and I totally support that, but I selfishly want more time with him. We eventually stand from the couch and walk to the door.

"Thanks again for dinner," he smiles at me. I give him one more quick kiss goodnight and he walks out the door. I turn and go into the kitchen. Nothing like washing dirty dishes to finish off the night, when what I really want is to be wrapped up in my bed with Dex.