Chapter 8

Instead of slowing down, I speed up, eliminating all chances of him being able to catch up. I finally slow to a stop as I meet a bench on the outskirts of the park, then turn around to see Ben running and panting heavily trying to catch up.

He stops in front of me, his hands dropping to his knees as he pants. "How are... you... so... fast." He gasps out. I drop to the grass, laughing hysterically at the incredulous expression on his face.

He drags himself over to me, groaning as he practically face plants next to me. "It's not funny." He whines, pouting at my ensuing laughter. I fall onto my back, laughing so hard I'm about to cry.

My chortling is abruptly cut off when something falls onto my face. I sit up to find Ben grinning devilishly with a handful of grass.

My mouth drops open in shock, and he decides to throw another well-aimed shot right at my mouth. I splutter, spitting out grass before taking a fistful and throwing it right back at him. He shrieks and tries to duck out of the way, but instead ends up getting hit squarely in the face.

We chuck grass at each other, laughing until our sides hurt. Pieces of grass are scattered throughout Ben's brown hair, and it seems they're stuck no matter how vigorously he shakes his head.

When I finally catch my breath a smile stays on my face. His green eyes are glinting in the sunlight that's begun to poke through the clouds, and he's grinning back at me. He stands up, offering me a hand. "Let's head to the bakery." I nod and take his hand, letting him help me up.

We stroll to the bakery as Ben chatters on excitedly about all the treats they have there. "The cupcakes are amazing, but the cookies are also one of my favorite things. I can never decide what to get. Although sometimes I stop here for breakfast too. They've got muffins and doughnuts and..." I chuckle, watching his expression. I've stopped processing what he's saying, instead latched onto the absolute glow that's painted on his face.

We reach the bakery, and I step ahead to pull the door open for him. He grins at me like a small child and hurries into the shop as I chuckle. I follow his path to a large glass case filled with all sorts of treats.

His face sets into a look of deep concentration as he decides what to order. I scan over the cabinet, settling on a cupcake.

After we order, he pulls out his wallet but I smack his hand. "Nope I'm paying." I tell him. He opens his mouth to protest and I'm tempted to kiss him to shut him up, but instead I restrain myself and simply say, "No arguing."

I step forward and pay before he can beat me to it. He crosses his arms with an annoyed huff, then walks away to find a table. When our orders are ready, I take them and find Ben sitting at a quiet corner table, typing on his phone with a frown on his face.

I sit down across from him, sliding his decadent piece of cake to him. His eyebrows are furrowed and he hasn't even noticed that I've brought him his food.

"Ben?" I say. He grunts in response. "I brought you your food." He glances up, a light of excitement flashing in his eyes before it disappears again, and he turns back to his phone. I peel the wrapper back on my cupcake, watching him thoughtfully.

He finally takes a bite of his cake, but he seems distracted. He's staring out the window of the shop, his eyes distant and lined with the dark circles that I noticed earlier, but now seem more prominent.

"Ben?" I ask. He jumps slightly and turns to look at me, startled out of his thoughts. He shakes his head and blinks a few times, as if trying to refocus. "Are you alright?" I question, concerned. He gives me a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just spaced off." He comments, but I can tell his words aren't quite true.