Chapter 15

Jay's P. O. V.
We leave the doctor's and head to my house to game for a while. I've settled myself in my bed and Devon's in the bean bag chair in the corner of the room.

"Agh, not again!" He complains as I beat him again at Mario Cart.

I laugh, pumping my fist in victory. "I blame this on the fact that I'm wearing a sling." He defends.

I raise an eyebrow. "Never mind the fact that you hurt your shoulder, not your fingers." "Yep, that part's not important." He nods.

I flop back against my bed, my head pounding like earlier in the day. "You wanna go down and get the pain meds for me?" I ask. "I had a really bad headache this morning and it went away for a while, but now it's back. Plus you probably want some for your shoulder."

"That would be good. I'll be back in a minute." He says, rising and heading downstairs.

I don't mean to fall asleep, but I open my eyes to Devon gently shaking me. I sit up, rubbing my eyes and trying to rid myself of the headache that has centered itself behind them.

"Sorry I took so long, Lex and I started talking." He tells me. I blink a few times and yawn. "How long was I asleep?" I ask.

"Well, I came back up about a half hour ago and you were out so I just let you sleep for a while. You're obviously more exhausted than you thought. Anyway, it's fine, Lex and I just talked for a while. Here's your medicine." He says, handing me some pills and a glass of water.

"Lex said come downstairs and we'll figure out supper. Your parents are working late again."

"Alright, I'll be down in a bit." I tell him, nodding and stretching. He leaves and I take a moment to wake up fully before creeping downstairs.

I catch snippets of their conversation on the way. "Whatever happened to that other friend that was over here the other day?" Lex asks.

"What'd he look like?" Devon says. "Oh, brown hair, kind of skinny. I think he was wearing a jean jacket and converse. Jay had been spending a lot of time with him before, but he hasn't gone out much these last couple days and I haven't seen the other guy either. Who is he?" Lex wonders.

"Oh, that's Ben. I met him not too long ago. He's a nice and funny guy, really caring. They got into a fight a little while ago though. I don't think they've talked since." Devon tells her.

I move farther down the stairs to listen closer when the step creeks. They stop talking and I decide to just go in. They're both sitting on the couch watching TV, acting like they've been doing so the whole time. Lex flips off the show and turns to me. "Let's get some food."

Ben's P. O. V.
It's been 3 days and 3 sleepless nights since I've actually talked to Jay. It's strange; I'd gotten so used to having him around that being without him already feels weird.

I glance down at the text that's appeared on my phone and groan. 'Family dinner tonight at 4:30! Don't forget!"

At this point I feel zapped of all social energy, and after another long night and morning, I don't want to go interact with everyone.

My mom has always considered weekly family dinner a very important thing, especially after I moved out. We spend the time cooking together, catching up, and playing games.

My younger brothers and sister always look forward to seeing me, but this week has turned to hell and I'm considering making up an excuse so I don't have to go.

Although... if I go I'd be able to work with my dad to do some research on Jay's condition. I get off the couch with another yawn, not the last of the many that have slipped out in the last few days. I take a quick shower and drink another coffee, trying to wake myself up before leaving.