Chapter 22

A/N:
Okay so I know I kind of disappeared for like 2 months. (Oops, sorry about that.) I have still been writing; my time has just been divided between a few other things I've been working on as well. Hopefully I'll eventually put those on Wattpad too. Anyway, here's an update, and as always, thanks for reading :)

----------------------------------------------
I speed-dial my dad as we race across town in the ambulance. "Hey, Ben." He greets. "Wait. Is that an ambulance siren?"

"Yes. Jay keeps passing out and he can't keep much down. I'm thinking he's dehydrated and I just got really worried. Can you get a room ready?"

"Yes. Let me speak to one of the EMTs." I hand the phone over, explaining that my dad is one of the doctors. I switch my brain off the conversation and look down at Jay, who is still unconscious.

I can't help but feel a little guilty. If I'd somehow managed to get him to drink more, or hadn't left him alone, maybe this wouldn't have happened.

He stirs and blinks groggily. "Jay?" I whisper. He takes in his surroundings and his eyes widen with panic before I put a hand on his arm. His eyes find mine and he settles.

"What's?" He makes out. "You passed out again and you're probably dehydrated. We're going to go see my dad." He looks a little confused and drifts off again.

Jay's P. O. V.
I groggily open my eyes to an incessant beeping noise.

After blinking several times to adjust my eyes, I sit up with a start. Why am I in a hospital bed?

A hand gently lands on my arm and I look over to see Ben sitting beside me.

"Lay back down." He says, tugging me back towards the mattress. I can't help but follow his suggestion due to sudden dizziness that has the room spinning and my ears ringing.

I blink a few times as I wait for the fuzzy feeling to fade before speaking again.

"Why are we at the hospital?" I mumble, setting my gaze on him. His features scrunch together.

"You don't remember the ambulance ride?" He asks. I think for a moment but come up blank. "No," I say slowly.

He purses his lips. "What's the last thing you remember?" I close my eyes, trying to recall. "Mmm, I was in the bathroom, letting my guts escape."

I slide open my eyes again, looking over at Ben. His gaze has drifted off and he's lost in thought.

I take a moment to look down at all the wires and tubes they've attached to me. A tickle in the back of my throat sends me into a coughing fit so bad my eyes are watering and I can hardly breathe. Ben snaps into action and is rubbing my back as I try to catch my breath.

"Please try not to die on me." He jokes and I can't help but crack a smile. It drops off my face just as quickly when my stomach spins.

"Are you alright?" Ben asks with a concerned expression.

"Might need a bucket," I say, trying to hold back the contents of my stomach. He scrambles to grab the one sitting next to my bed and holds it out just in time.

I finish heaving and sit back with a heavy sigh. "Feel like crap," I mumble. "You're dehydrated and nutrient lacking. You haven't been drinking or eating enough." Ben tells me.

The room quiets and I feel his gaze on me. I look over to meet his eyes, but they quickly dart downward.

"I'm worried about you." He says quietly, twisting his fingers and biting his lip.

A pang of sadness rushes through my body at his expression, and I unconsciously reach a hand out and place it over his fidgeting fingers.

He looks up and I sharply suck in a breath at the way his beautiful green eyes shine with unshed tears.