Chapter 20

Jay's P. O. V.
Just as I consider leaning in to let our lips meet, a phone rings.

Ben pulls both of our phones out of his pockets where he's been holding onto mine. "It's yours, your sister is calling. We probably should have called her back a bit earlier."

I grimace and chew at my lip. "Do you want me to answer?" He asks, searching my eyes. "You can." I say.

He watches me a moment before answering. "Hey Alexa. Ben again." I zone out of the conversation and try to keep my eyes open as they start to droop. Honestly I'm so exhausted I feel like I could drop off with the snap of a finger.

"Yeah. Is it alright if I talk to him and call you back?" I catch Ben say. "Okay. Bye." He hangs up and turns his attention to me.

"Let's get to the bedroom first." He suggests. I stand on shaky legs and manage to make it down the rest of the hall with only a few trips.

Eventually I collapse on the edge of the bed and try to regain energy to my weary body. He climbs up next to me. "We do have to call her back you know."

I nod slightly. "I just would rather not." I say with a sigh. I grimace and bring a hand to my throat. My voice has become rough and crackly since I've woken up on the couch after the movie and now it's hurting too.

Ben grimaces too at the sound. I shorten my sentences and try again. "Put her on speaker and help me out?"

He nods. "No offense, but your voice sounds absolutely dreadful. I'll grab a paper and pen so you can write what you want to say and I'll read it."

He dials her number and sets the phone on the bed in front of us, handing me the writing supplies.

"Hello?" Lex answers. "Hey." I crackle out and earn a glare from Ben. "It's both Jay and I, his voice sounds like crap as you can hear so he's going to write if he wants to say something." Ben says, shooting me a pointed look.

I chuckle but it turns into a coughing fit and I have to lean over from the force of it. I feel a hand rubbing my back as I catch my breath and I look over to find that Ben's expression has softened.

"Yeah, you really don't sound great; you need rest so I'll try not to keep you too long. I just need to tell you that I'm on your side here. I know that both dad and mom are acting terribly and are not even moderately to terms with your sexuality."

I grimace. I'd known for sure as heck that dad wasn't, it just hurt a little more to know that mom was taking his side for sure. Ben notices my expression and catches my eye, mouthing "Are you okay?" I nod and wave him off. He doesn't look overly convinced, and really has every right to be considering I just lied.

Lex continues after a deep breath. "Just because I grew up in the house with them doesn't mean I share their views. I'm on your side here, and I'm going to do everything I can to help you out. I'm at a cafe right now so you don't have to worry about them hearing any of this. I'm going to try to bring most of your stuff over this week, which shouldn't be too hard since they're working all the time." I can practically see her rolling her eyes.

"I'm crashing with a friend for a few weeks while I apartment search, then we'll both be free of their homophobic asses." I smile softly, looking down at my lap.

Ben speaks up. "Jay, I also want you to move in with me permanently, at least for a while. There's no sense in you worrying about a job or finding a place while your health is bad anyway."

I glance at the phone but Lex makes no comments so I can only hope that she assumes he just means this cold or bug or whatever this is.

I switch my gaze back to Ben and let the rest of his words process. I give him a grateful smile, pulling him into a tight hug.