Chapter Twenty

"You obviously want to ask me about it." I teased him again when I caught him staring at my phone again.

He looked away instead of replying and I smirked.

"I won't tell you until you ask me." I poked my finger against the side of his arm.

When he still didn't reply, I continued. "Fine then. You won't get to know who I was talking to."

When he looked over to me, I shrugged, trying to suppress my laughter. His expressions displayed clear curiosity and slight worry, it made me want to burst out laughing.

"I don't need to know." He whispered, a moment later.

I tried to cover my chuckle with a cough when I saw him looking at my phone again. His gaze stayed fixated on the blinking screen and my cheeks hurt from trying to control my laughter.

"Still don't want to know?" My voice cracked and a giggle slipped in between my words.

"No." He resisted again, looking away from the phone placed in between us.

When my phone started ringing again, he visibly stiffened. He straightened his back and folded his hands in front of his chest.

I picked up my phone in a sluggish motion and kept my eyes on him the whole time.

Much to my dismay, Nicolas neither looked back at me nor did he try to sneak a peek at my phone's screen. His obvious disinterest dampened my mood instantly.

"Hey..." I answered.

"Tomorrow?" Tay questioned, reminding me that I was going to leave in less than a few hours.

"Yeah." I sighed, looking at the back of Nicolas' head.

"You'll be coming over straight away, right?" He asked.

"Of course." I copied his cheerful tone, narrowing my eyes at Nicolas.

"Finally." Tay let out a sigh of relief from the other side.

Nicolas lowered his head, but still kept his face turned away from me.

"Yeah." I answered dejectedly, preoccupied by the one beside me.

"See you soon then." He said, sounding more happy than I could've pretended to be at the moment.

I didn't bother responding to him with words. I just hummed in agreement and cut the call before he could've said anything else.

Resting against the tree, I wondered out loud. "Aren't werewolves supposed to be super possessive and sometimes unbearable?"

My words finally sparked his curiosity and he turned his head to partially look at me. "What?"

"I expected you to go all Alpha male on me the moment you heard me talking to some other guy." I explained further.

When he didn't answer but continued to stare at me, I added. "Or is that not how you werewolves are?"

"Is that how you want me to be?" He turned around to entirely face me.

"I- I don't know." I lowered my eyes, feeling confused. "I was just asking."

"Blue, look at me." Nicolas ordered in a serious voice.

"Blue." He called my name again when I still didn't look up.

"I just thought it'd be fun to see your other side. I mean, I still haven't even seen your wolf. I get it though, we haven't known each other for long and I'm not even one of you guys; it'd be weird to just trust me right away. Forget what I-" Nicolas gripped my chin, stopping my rambling instantly. He moved my head up until our eyes met.