Chapter Thirty Eight

Next morning I woke up with a start. As soon as I remembered everything happened last night, I looked around for Nicolas. Just as expected he was nowhere to be found. Throwing off the covers, I ran for the door and opened it. 

Everyone gathered outside became quiet and focused their gaze on me as if waiting for something. 

"Where's Nicolas?" I croaked, looking at them. 

None of them replied and I questioned them again. This time a woman came forward. 

"Alpha is resting." 

I recognised her voice from last night. She was the one who took me back to the cabin and stayed there until I fell asleep. 

"Where?" I asked again, this time time just looking at her. 

She pointed to her right, somewhere between the dense trees. I remembered Marco had told me about that place as well. 

I thanked her before stumbling on my way to see Nicolas. 

I hadn't even gone past a few rows of trees before I saw Marco making his way over to me from the opposite direction. I increased my pace as soon as I saw him. 

"He's sleeping. You can't meet him." Marco said, stopping a few feet away from me. 

"I just need to see him. To make sure he's okay." I tried to explain myself. 

"He's fine." 

Unlike him, I didn't stop walking until I stood right in front of him. "Can I see him? Even if it's from far." 

"He's sleeping, Blue." He said after stepping back. 

"Just once?" 

Marco shook his head. "He'll be able to sense. you. He went to sleep just now." 

I nodded, understanding his point. "He's fine, right?" 

"Yeah." 

I took a few steps back as well, trying to force myself to turn around and walk back home. "Then can I visit him later today? Or tomorrow? The day after that?" I asked, halting in my steps, waiting for his answer. 

"I can't say for sure right now. I'll give you a call later to let you know." 

"Thank you." I responded, trying not to sound too disappointed. 

"I'll walk you back." Marco's steps were hesitant and he kept his distance from me. I gave him a confused glance before starting walking again. 

"I'll be keeping an eye on Nicolas. Don't worry he'll be fine."

I nodded with my back facing him and continued to walk in silence ahead of him. 

Just as we were about to walk past Nicolas' cabin, I heard Marco from behind me. 

"Change into something else. I'll be needing the clothes you're wearing." 

I didn't even feel like asking him why. I quietly entered the cabin and went straight toward the bathroom where I had left my clothes last night. 

"Here. Wear these." Marco stuck his hand between the doorframe and handed me another pair of Nicolas' clothes. 

I grabbed the clothes from him and shut the bathroom door when he pulled his hand back. I changed into another pair of t-shirt and shorts. 

"Your scent will help him sleep better." Marco informed me when I stepped out and handed him the clothes I was wearing before. 

I nodded my head, letting him know I heard him. "I'll head back home on my own. Thanks."