Chapter 12 - Making a Deal

Berkley was stunned by Dean's question and she sat there silently, looking at him in disbelief for a few seconds while her mind struggled to process what he just asked.

"Are you just messing with me right now? If so, that's not funny," she said defensively, feeling aggravated that he was toying with her.

He looked at her with a completely straight face.

"Do I look like I'm joking?" he asked.

She scrunched her eyebrows in confusion. "What happened to 'No way! It'll mess up our friendship!' and all that?"

"I know what I said," he said, standing up and leaning his butt against the counter, letting out an exhale as he ran his hands up through his hair before shoving them in his pockets.

"But I gave it some thought and you losing your virginity to Zander just doesn't sit right with me. I can't stand that guy and I don't trust him. I started thinking about all the reasons you gave for why your first time should be with me, and it started making sense."

"It did?" she asked, surprised to hear him say that.

"Yeah. I mean, you've known me your entire life and you trust me. You're really nervous, so it makes sense for you to want your first time to be with someone you feel comfortable and safe with and I've got experience, so I can teach you what I know. Plus, you don't have to worry about getting your heart broken, cause we both know we don't like each other like that. We can agree right from the start that it's just sex, just the one time, and nobody's gonna catch feelings and nobody's gonna get hurt. Then we'll go back to being just friends and act like nothing happened. Right?"

For some reason, hearing him say it out loud made it sound like a ridiculous idea. Could they really have sex and then be normal around each other after?

"I don't know," she said hesitantly. "Do you really think we can do that? Act like nothing happened after having sex together?"

He thought it over for a second before shrugging and saying, "Honestly, I don't know. I've never done it with a close friend before, especially not one as close as me and you."

He sat back down on the barstool beside her and exhaled deeply. "All I know is, I can't stand the thought of you having your first time with Zander or some random guy that doesn't care about you. What if they get impatient and they're too rough and they hurt you?"

She felt a cold chill run down her spine from the thought of it. "Yeah, I ummm, I hadn't thought about that," she said, swallowing hard.

Suddenly the idea of doing it with anybody else scared her. She knew Dean would never hurt her.

"I've slept with a virgin before so I know what to expect and I can talk you through it," Dean told her. "If you agree to this, we can take our time and go as slow as you want, and if you change your mind and decide you want to stop, we can stop."

Hearing him say that calmed her nerves and made her feel better about the whole thing.

"Ok," she said quietly, nodding. "That sounds good."

They sat there in silence for a while, both thinking really hard until she finally broke the silence. "Are we seriously thinking about doing this?"

He looked over at her, studying her face. "I don't know. Are we? You tell me."

"I don't know. I'm confused," she said letting out an exhale, resting her elbows on the counter and putting her chin in her hands. "I was so sure about it when I came to you with the idea. But now, I just ....... it's you and me. It would be so weird. Wouldn't it?"