Chapter 26 - An Awkward Christmas

***** Christmas Day *****

Berkley was in the kitchen basting the turkey and finishing up the mashed potatoes when she heard the front door open and friendly happy voices talking. She recognized them as Dean's parents and that probably meant he was here too with his girlfriend. The thought of it made her feel sick.

A minute later the kitchen door swung open and Katherine Bradshaw walked in with an apple pie in her hands, smiling from ear to ear with her perfectly straight, white teeth. She was tall and beautiful, with long, slick brown hair, thick, perfectly sculpted eyebrows and red stained lips that complimented her smooth, lightly tanned skin. She was wearing a red, sparkly turtleneck and a pair of tight fitting jeans with black high heels.

She put the pie down on the counter and came over, giving Berkley a tight hug, enveloping her in expensive, flowery perfume.

"It's so good to see you. You're looking so beautiful and grown up these days," she told her, smoothing her hands over Berkley's long, brown hair and tucking it behind her ears. "How have you been?"

She shrugged, giving her a weak smile. "I've definitely been better, but I wanted to thank you for suggesting that therapist. She's been amazing."

"Oh yeah. Kim's the best. I couldn't survive without her, especially not this year. It's been a tough one," Katherine said with an exhale. Then she gave Berkley a soft smile and said, "I know it's been tough for you too. If you ever want to talk to somebody besides Kim, just call me. They've got me running around like a chicken with its head cut off at the office, but I'm never too busy for you. You know that right?"

Berkley nodded and said, "Yeah I know. I'm sorry for not calling more. I've just been so busy with school and eveything, but I'll try to do better. I promise."

"I'm gonna hold you to that young lady." Katherine gave her another hug before asking, "Do you need any help in here? I've got more desserts to carry in, but I can come back and help after."

"No, that's okay. I'm almost done, but thanks for offering. I'm sure Hallie would love to have another Mom to talk to about baby stuff if you want to go out there and find her. She's probably bored, being stuck out there with all those men talking about football and beer," she laughed.

Katherine laughed too and said, "Yeah, you're probably right. I better go out there and save her."
She picked up the apple pie and gave Berkley another smile before she left.

Dean's Mom was such a sweetheart. She had always been like a second mom to her and she had been her Mom's best friend for as long as she could remember. Having her around almost made it feel like her Mom was still here.

A little while later there was another knock at the front door and shortly after that the kitchen door swung open again and there was Zander, looking as handsome as ever in a nice black and white suit with his hair slicked back, holding up an expensive bottle of wine.

"Hey babe," he said with a smile, walking over and leaning down to give Berkley a peck on the lips.

"Hey," she said with a weak smile, letting out an exhale as she wiped her wet hands off on her apron. "I'm just finishing up the food and then I'll come out there and join you guys."

"Actually, I'd rather stay in here and chat with you while you cook than be out there with Dean," he said, scrunching his nose up as he said his name. "I swear, I think that guy hates me for some reason. I have no idea why. I've never done anything to him besides try to be his friend."

She shrugged. "I wouldn't worry about it too much. He's never liked any guy I've ever dated," she said, trying to play it off, even though she knew Dean really did hate him.