Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

The Scientific Explanation

***

I grew up learning facts. 

That's right, facts. Things that are real, and are known and proven to be real. That is what I got, instead of fairy-tales, I heard stories of the past, I heard science and geography, but I also heard legends. Legends that grew up with me, implanted in my brain despite all of things I tried to knock them out. They weren't real, I knew that. They were kind of stupid now that I think of it. Bloodsuckers who roamed the woods and preyed on our elders. 

 Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

 Iron deficiency explains pale skin, red eyes could be genetic mutation. My sister didn't believe that one bit... No, Alyssa lived with her head planted firmly in the clouds. She reads way to many books, and now believes that one day she will have a vampire-boyfriend. 

 I have tried explaining to her that everything has a logical explanation...

 Well, it did. 

 It did, until everything suddenly blew over, blew over in a harsh wind, blown by something that shouldn't even exist in the real world.  

 Something like me. 

***

The La Push Rez is where I was born. The dirt roads were my playground, and the old, crappy school is my only form of education. 

 I think I broke the barriers of what they could teach last year. Freshman year, and I ended up teaching more of the classes then the actual teachers. My friends all think it is hilarious, that I could correct our teachers on a lesson they wrote. Yes, I am that kid. The nerd kid, the one who makes the class laugh by testing to see how red he can make Mr. Swain's- or, Mr. Pain as he was graciously nicknames- face. People can't seem to decide whether they like me, or hate me. 

 I don't really care either way. I have my friends, my boys, and they are all I really need. 

 This class I was abnormally quiet... why? 

 Because I was reading of course! 

 "Mr. Carter, is your book more interesting than my class?" 

 I didn't even glance up. "Yes, sir." 

 A flurry of giggles erupted around me, but I didn't even have time to feel embarrassed. Instead, I just put my book down and gave my best innocent grin. "I don't mean to be rude, sir, I just already learned this stuff." 

 Swain muttered something under his breath that I was sure wasn't polite, and focused his beady eyes right into mine. "You already learned it?" He asked, his voice laced with sarcasm, yet, he didn't sound all that surprised. "Of course you did." 

 I bit back a yawn as he continued, feeling a sharp poke to my bicep. I adjusted my glasses on my face, and turned around to face one of my best friends. Quil grinned, holding his breath under his face burned bright red. He then pointed at Swain, making me snort into my palm.