Chapter Three

CHAPTER THREE

A Barely Contained Fire

***

The next morning, I woke up with a pit in my stomach and a pounding in my head. 

 Not a headache, no, just a rhythmic pounding that seemed to resonate around my skull. I blinked once, rubbing my temples. My skin still felt feverish to the touch, but I didn't feel hot in the slightest. 

 Ugh, I am not skipping school for that. 

 I got dressed as fast as I could with my heartbeat in my brain, jogging down the stairs where the smell of bacon was wafting around. My mom was in the kitchen, her dark hair pulled back into a neat braid that fell down her back, she turned, her delicate features curving into a smile. "Good morning, honey! How are you?"

 I smiled softly at my morning-person mom, walking over to sit in front of her, and groping for my glasses, hoping to ease the pressure in my head. "I'm fine." 

 "Did you grow again?" She asked, resting a hand on my shoulder and pressing a kiss to my head, she immediately pulled away. "Tony you're boiling." 

 "I feel fine." I tried to convince, "I don't know why I am so hot." 

 My mom's lips pulled into a tight line, worry dancing in her eyes. "Maybe you should stay home from school today." 

 "I can't." I grabbed a muffin from the basket on the counter, taking my time in unwrapping it. "I have an Spanish quiz today." 

 "There is no harm in taking a break-"

 "Mom. I said I was fine." I snapped, a newfound edge to my voice that I have never heard before cutting in. I winced at the hurt look on her face, reaching forward to place my warm hand on her arm. "I'm sorry, I don't know where that came from." 

 "Just... come home if anything happens." Her eyes gleamed like she was about to cry, but a smile was painted on her pretty face. "Okay?" 

 "Okay mom." 

 "It smells gross in here." Alyssa announced her presence, scrunching up her nose, it hit me how much she looks like our mother, "did Jacob sleep over again?" 

 "I'll have you know that Jacob smells like machine oil, not meat oil." 

 Alyssa pulled a face, grabbing the orange juice from the fridge and pouring herself a glass. "It's still oil." 

 "Like your hair." 

 She stuck her tongue out at me, flinging her ponytail over her shoulder and sipping her juice. "Speaking of hair, when are you getting yours cut?" 

"Around the same time you get a boyfriend." 

 "Enough." My mom slapped my hand with a towel, although she was smiling to herself. "You both have gorgeous hair." 

 I gave my mom an innocent grin, standing up and grabbing my backpack, slinging the strap over my shoulder. Lyssa gasped dramatically.