Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Clarification

***

 I could smell the Cullen's before I could see them. 

 The airport was crowded, and when you combine the various scents, sounds, and colors ten thousand people all at once, and give it to someone with heightened senses, you get something like this. 

 "I think I'm having a stroke," Embry complained for the fifth time in the five minutes we have been in here, I tightening my grip on his hand, although my eyes were beginning to unintentionally cross, and I wanted nothing more then to curl up in a ball, cover my ears, and rock back and forth. 

 "Same," I agreed, my other hand clamped around the collar of the hoodie, tugging it away so I didn't feel like I was being choked out. The sickly-sweet smell of the bloodsuckers got overwhelming as soon as one of them came in to view. I spotted the girl first, the one from Bella Swan's house. She wasn't smiling, although her entire face was lifted up like she intended to do so. Her nose rose in the air, and then she turned. 

 When her creepy golden eyes met mine, a light scowl tugged on her lips, and she said something so quietly that I could only barely make it out. 

 "We have company." 

 The rest of the Cullen's turned around in perfect synchronicity, while their human counterpart spun in a full circle before she realized that we were there. Each footstep seemed to be louder and louder, until we finally stopped, right in front of the group. 

 The Cullen's really are freaky. 

 "Greetings," the blond doctor, Carlisle Cullen, nodded his head toward us, and I nodded in return, brushing a piece of hair from my face. "What might we do for you?" 

 "We're here for Jacob," I began, feeling as if I might as well be vaporized on the spot. I could tell that Edward Cullen, the mind reader, was digging in to my head and I didn't like it. Lucky for him, all he'll find in there is a bunch of random math formulas. "He wanted us to check in on your loyalty to our treaty." 

 "Meaning they want to see if Bella is alive." Edward corrected, his posh voice spiking at my nerves until they were dangerously high. "Or, at least if she intends to stay that way."

 "We're just here for the research," Embry spoke up, obviously mocking Edward's tone, and making me snicker quietly under my breath. Alice rolled her eyes, crossing her arms indignantly. "Not for confrontation." 

 Under different circumstances, I would have praised Embry for use of such a long word. 

 "None of us want confrontation." The older woman spoke up. She looked tired, in a flawless kind of way. It was all about facial expression, and majority of the bloodsuckers here were staring at us like we were something they found on the bottom of their shoe. Except for he tall, male, blond one standing next to Alice. He looked kind of... relieved for our presence. 

 I guess our scent would mask that of all of these humans. 

 "We need to speak with you about one of our kind who is after Bella."