Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT

Futile Attempts

***

So, I thought it would be easier for me when Embry had a new haircut, since I think his hair was one of things I liked most about him. 

 Nope, he looked even better with it short. 

"What did I say about avoiding eye-contact?" Sam hissed as Emily brushed off Embry's shoulders, and Paul and Jared got into a very intense staring contest. I frowned, balling my fists. 

"I tried! Okay, Sam? I tried really hard?" 

 The man's eyes narrowed slightly, but so did mine. I felt mad, at myself, for talking about a goddamn haircut, when I could have said literally anything in the world. Ugh, I thought I was supposed to be the smart one. 

"It's not exactly my issue, I just thought it would be easier on you."

 I groaned as Sam walked over to Emily, slumping down onto the lumpy couch, aggressively running a hand through my hair. Stupid. Now I'm the stupid one. 

"Yo!" Paul jumped over the couch, landing in front of me and grinning proudly, "dude, check it out! I can juggle!" 

 I sat up a little, cocking my head to the side and quirking my eyebrow, "really?" 

 "Yes." He sounded so certain of himself, his smile wide and his hands holding three, quite breakable looking, cups. "You will be very impressed." 

 "No!" Emily jumped over, crawling over the couch and snatching the cups from Paul's hands. "You boys already eat all of my food, you don't need to break my bowls too." 

 "Yeah, goddammit, Paul!" I teased, standing up and jumping back over the edge of the sofa to avoid Emily's crippling glare. "Know your boundaries, man." 

 "Yeah, Paul!" Jared yelled from the kitchen, rolling his eyes dramatically and throwing me some sort of granola bar. "You have no friends!" 

 "Jesus-" Paul sighed indignantly, shaking his head slowly. "What have I done to deserve this abuse?" 

 "You were born," I shot back, grinning at the taller boy, sticking my tongue out from between my teeth, still not having the balls to look over to Embry, although I could feel his eyes burning holes into my skin. Paul looked like he wanted to hit me, but couldn't because Emily was inspecting his hair like she wanted to cut it again. 

 "Paul, Jared, Anthony-" Sam's sharp voice cut into our playful banter, making us all whip our heads to the side instantaneously. The Alpha crossed his arms, his sharp eyes boring into mine. "Out." 

 We obliged, filing out of the small house. I patted Embry's shoulder as we went, giving him a soft smile. Jared hung back, and I heard him say one last thing before I grabbed his arm and pulled him out. 

  "Would it kill you to say please?" 

 ***

 The worst thing about phasing is going back to school the first time. 

 And it was even worse with a mixture of awkward and sexual tension. 

 It has been a solid week and a half before Embry came back, and I'll admit, I was surprised and pleased to see him waiting at the end of my driveway. I was hit by a stifling wave of nostalgia, a roll so intense I had to stop walking for a second and make sure I was still in the present.