1. The Office

Katie

I briskly walk through the student union building. It was recently built over the summer, and has a very modern feel to it. Floor to ceiling windows, skylights, comfortable sofas, TV's, and several food vendors.

It's very crowded, most people seem to be grabbing lunch and socializing with friends. I do my best to avoid groups of people in my path, zig zagging in between them so I don't bump into anyone.

I study a map located by the elevator, it's only the first week of classes and I'm still finding my way around campus. I'm still pretty embarrassed I was late to class today because I couldn't find the building and was too nervous to ask someone for help.

I press the shiny silver button with an arrow pointed upwards and the elevator doors open with a soft chime. Several other people enter the elevator alongside myself, and I find myself squished on the side. I reach over and manage to press the button for the fifth floor.

By the time the elevator reaches the fifth floor, I'm the only one still there. I step out and look at another map located on the wall across the elevator. I make note of the room number and start walking down the hall.

Jason

I lean back in my chair behind my desk, with my hands resting behind my head. "Isn't this great guys? I'm finally president." Three years of work and I'm finally on top.

Lincoln laughs, "It's not like we didn't see this coming. You've been power hungry since we were kids." I frown, flicking a rubber band towards him. He blocks it with a pillow on the couch he's laying on.

"Lincoln's not wrong. You've been class president every year since we started middle school, and you've been the treasurer, vice president twice, and now president of ASA," Ray adds, looking up from his laptop.

"Hey, it's not my fault I just radiate leadership." I say sarcastically. It's slightly true though, positions of power are where I excel, and no one has proven me otherwise so far.

They both scoff. "We all know you get votes from the girls, you ladies man," Lincoln says, rolling his eyes. "Speaking of which, you've been on a pretty unlucky streak huh? I can't remember the last time you've been single for this long. Two whole months," He adds, mockingly.

"Yeah, you're normally hopping from girl to girl, days after breaking up," Ray frowns, "your relationships last like what, months each? You've dated over 10 girls since starting university, and senior year's just started."

"Can't forget all of the casual hookups too," Lincoln adds with a smirk.

"Hey leave me alone-" before I can finish my sentence, we hear the softest knock on the door. "Come in," I call. The door opens the slightest bit, and a head peeks into the room.

"H-hi is this the Arts Student Association office?" The girl asks, barely above a whisper, standing halfway behind the door, using it like a shield to hide from us.

"Yup, you can come in, we don't bite," I nod with a friendly grin.

She slides in and softly shuts the door behind her. She has long smooth black hair, light brown eyes, and is quite petite, giving her a cute and innocent appearance - definitely a freshman. I notice from the corner of my eye, Lincoln is intrigued as well, as he sits up on the sofa to look at her.

"I heard you were looking for a secretary to join the executive board," she mumbles so softly I barely hear her, "I came here because I'm interested in applying."

I get up from behind my desk and walk over to her. "That's right. I'm Jason Larsen, the president, that's Ray over there, our treasurer." I point to him and he waves.

"And this is-"

Lincoln confidently strolls up next to me and interrupts.

"Hi I'm Lincoln the social media manager." He reaches out to shake her hand. She shakes his hand, smiling and blushing. I feel a slight twinge of jealousy.

I look at my watch. "Looks like we have some spare time, would you be ok with doing a quick interview now?" I ask, and she nods. I take some chairs from a large stack in the corner and set them down so the three of us can face her.

"So let's get the basics out of the way. Name, program, year?" I ask her.

"Katie, economics, freshman," she replies, still a bit quietly. I guess I was right about her age.

"Hey I'm in econ too, let me know if you ever need help studying," Lincoln adds, and she nods with a shy smile.

I clear my throat and her attention snaps back to me. She's been avoiding eye contact but they lock onto mine this time. She looks very doe-eyed and nervous. "OK, what do you think makes you qualified?"

"I was secretary on the student council for three years in high school." She's starting to sound slightly more confident.

"Nice, and why would you want to join us?" Ray asks.

"Well I've always been shy," she explains softly as she fidgets with the hem of her skirt, "I wanted to get more involved and meet new people in university. I thought this would be a good opportunity to do so."

"Alright thanks Katie, that's all we want to know for now. We normally have a vote from our members to elect the board, but our original secretary bailed last minute so we don't have time to do that this year," I say as I hand her a sheet of paper and a pen. "Please give us your number and email so we can get in touch."

She writes on the paper and hands it back. "Was nice meeting you guys," she says with a wave and leaves the room. Her writing is bizarrely neat.

"Man she was cute," Lincoln grins. "Dibs"

"No need, she's not my type anyway," I say. The shy cutesy type.

"Guys, what did I say about calling dibs on girls," Ray says, frowning, "they're human beings, not objects." Ray's no fun sometimes.

"Aw chill out, I was teasing...about dibs I mean. I'm still gonna try and ask her out," Lincoln says as he quickly packs up his bag. "She probably hasn't reached the elevator yet, see you tomorrow!" he says, dashing out the door. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Hey there! Thanks for reading my first chapter :) I hope you found it interesting enough to want to continue reading, any feedback is welcome!