31. Shots

Katie

"It's been a while since it was just us huh," I mumble, absentmindedly swirling my wine glass, "last time was...uh..."

"Yeah, I know," he says. "I've really missed you Ka-"

"Don't say that," I interrupt, "don't talk to me like that." I'm already struggling to control my feelings as is.

He sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "Look, I know things have been kind of rough between us since...well since we met," he says sheepishly.

I look at him but don't say anything. I have no idea where this is going, and I don't feel like leading a conversation with him.

"Can we just put it all behind us? Just friends? Or even just friendly acquaintances?" he asks.

I barely raise my glass an inch or so off the table. "I'll drink to that," I say aloofly and down the rest of my wine. He did all those things to me, and he just wants to put it all behind without addressing any of it. I'm too tired of this to argue about it.

By now I'm starting to feel a bit lightheaded. It's helping me not feel as hurt though. I decide to get up and go talk to other people. Why should I sit here with him and be miserable?

I end up at a table with part of our marketing committee. They're all really nice, and I'm starting to enjoy myself again. Although the alcohol might be helping a bit. Tiffany and I head to the bar. Jason is seated at the other end, and doesn't notice us. There are also a couple people on stools in between us. Suddenly, I see a familiar redhead walk by us. It's the girl I saw in Jason's office, what did Steph say her name was? Anna?

"Hey Tiffany you can head back first, I'm gonna sit here for a bit," I tell her. She nods and grabs her drink. The bar is an oval, so I can see them from where I'm sitting. Anna goes up to him and kisses him before taking a seat. I feel a tightness in my chest.

I sigh. Leena wouldn't be happy if she knew what was happening right now. They seem to be big fans of PDA, I cringe as she sits on his lap and they make out. I order a shot.

I wish Tina or Stephanie were still here. The bartender passes me the shot and I take it. I hear a high pitched squeal. I look over and see Jason holding open a velvet box towards Anna.

Oh my god. I really hope that isn't what I think it is.

But it is.

She takes a diamond tennis bracelet out of the box and puts it on. It's the same bracelet Jason tried giving to me. I order another shot.

The bartender passes me the shot and I take it. The strong burn slides down my throat, and I barely notice.

She squeals again, attracting the attention of most people around her. I manage to hear her, "Of course I'll be your girlfriend!"

I groan and order two more shots.

He hands me the shots. "I'm going to have to cut you off here Miss," he says. I'm too intoxicated and hurt to care that this bartender probably thinks I'm an alcoholic. I down the shots. It's slightly painful and I start to feel dizzy.

I take out my phone, my fingers clumsily manage to call Stephanie.

"Hey Katie, you're on speakerphone, what's up?"

"He's here with another girl..new girlfriend..and...I..just...can't." I slur.

I hear Stephanie move the phone away and them quietly talking to each other.

"Should we go back?"

"We'll miss our flight. I'll call Jason, he can help her out."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

I hear more movement.

"Katie? I have to go now but please be careful ok? We'll call you as soon as we get through security."

I hang up, and walk back to the table to get my coat and bag.

Jason

Anna pulls me closer by my tie and kisses me, running her hands through my hair. She smells strongly of floral perfume.

"I love it," she gushes after she pulls away, admiring the bracelet on her wrist.

"Just for you babe," I say, kissing her cheek.

"I wish I had matching earrings or something," she says, batting her eyelashes at me.

"Anything for you," I laugh. "You look great by the way."

She's wearing a tight and short white dress that shows off her figure. She has the figure of a model - which makes sense, she's literally a model for high end clothing brands.

"You look hot," she whispers, leaning against my chest. "Can we get out of here? Go back to your place?"

Before I can respond, my phone rings.

"Ray? What's up?"

"Hey Jason, could you check up on Katie? She just called us and it doesn't sound like she's doing too well."

I look around and see Katie heading towards the elevator.

"Oh shit. Yeah OK. Have a safe flight."

"Thanks man."

I stand up and quickly walk over to Katie. "Hey Katie, are you alright?"

She scowls at me. "I'm fineee." I don't think she's fine. I see the car keys in her hand.

"Katie, you can't drive like this. How much have you had to drink?"

"I don't know. Like...like...two...?" she slurs. Two what?

Anna shows up next to me and holds my arm and tugs it. "Baby what are you doing? Come back and sit with me."

I see Katie give her a dirty look. "One second babe," I say to Anna, "Katie, come on you're drunk. Could you take a taxi?"

She scoffs, "Taxi? I...I can drive."

Anna clings to me even more and starts kissing my cheek and neck. She's so hot it's distracting.

"Taxi, uber, lyft, whatever, just nothing that involves you driving Katie, OK?" I say sternly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

I swear Katie isn't an alcoholic 

Thanks for reading!