10. Coffee

Katie

I wake up, my limbs tangled with Lincoln's. These tiny beds definitely aren't meant for more than one person. My movement wakes him up as well.

I yawn and stretch, "Morning."

"Morning," he mumbles sleepily, pulling me closer towards him, "I wish I could hang out but I have to head to work."

"Aw," I say, clinging onto him like a koala.

He laughs and kisses my forehead and I reluctantly let go.

"How are you getting there?" I ask.

"Bus, I left my car at home." 

"Alright, I'll walk with you to the stop." I follow him and hop out of bed. Not like he needs me to, I just want to spend more time with him. Oh god I feel so clingy.

"I should probably head home and shower first," he groans, "I feel like I still smell like alcohol." It's subtle, but the scent is there.

"You could shower here, I have my own bathroom, it's tiny though," I offer, pointing to the bathroom.

"Jesus Christ I thought that was a closet," he shakes his head. "The school charges a fortune for housing and this is what they give."

"At least you have your own place now," I laugh. "Now hurry up and get in there before you're late."

He gives me a mischievous smile, "Care to join me?"

I giggle and follow him, "Gladly."

__________________

"Don't forget about my birthday lunch tomorrow," I remind him as the bus pulls up.

"Of course not," he smiles and quickly kisses my cheek before boarding the bus. As I turn around to walk back to my dorm, I see a disheveled looking Jason come out of one of the sorority houses. He must've gone back with that girl we saw him with last night.

"Have a good night?" I ask, as I approach him, gesturing towards the house.

"I could ask you the same thing, that was Lincoln you were walking with, wasn't it?" he continues, "I thought I told you he was bad news."

I frown, who does he think he is? "You have no right to dictate me and who I date."

"Alright, alright I'm sorry. How about we go get some coffee and talk?" he suggests.

I'm about to say no, but he flashes a charming smile that seems to have some sincerity in it.

"OK sure," I respond.

__________________

I order my drink, and hand my money to the cashier. "Oh actually the guy in front of you in line paid for your drink already," she says, pointing to Jason, standing to the side waiting for his drink.

He gives me a grin.

"You didn't have to do that," I grumble, as I walk over to him.

"I know," he smirks, as his name is called and he gets his drink. I get mine soon after and we sit down. He seems to study me as we sit down, his gaze is very attentive. 

"Yes?" I ask.

"You're really cute," he answers with a sly grin.

I feel the heat rush to my face. "I don't think that's appropriate," I frown, even though I'm sure he can notice me blushing.

He shrugs, "Sorry, I just meant it as a compliment."

He continues before I can reply.

"Anyways, in regard to Lincoln, no offense but you're just a naïve freshman," he begins.

"Offense taken but go on," I frown.

"He's done questionable things at this school that you don't know about." 

"What things?" I ask. I wonder if this has to do with him getting kicked out of his dorm.

"There are some that I shouldn't talk about," he replies, "but he's been known to be a player. Things like sleeping with girls and ditching in the morning before they wake up, cheating on girlfriends, dating multiple girls at once."

"He's told me about those things already, and that was years ago, he's different now," I defend. Lincoln was sincere when he told me about those things.

Jason shrugs casually.

"Do you guys normally get this invested into each other's love lives?" I ask suspiciously.

"Nah, we had some issues in the past, so we avoid interfering with each other's relationships," he states very matter of factly.

"What?" I exclaim, gesturing towards him and myself, "Then what's this?"

"You're...different," he says quietly, with a piercing gaze fixed on me that makes me fidget.

"What do you mean?" I ask, shifting slightly in my seat.

"I just feel like," he pauses, leaning slightly forwards in his seat, "there's someone else better suited for you."

My heart beats quickly as he roves those dark brown eyes of his over me, and I suddenly picture him that morning we ran into each other at his place, half naked.

I quickly shake the thought out of my head. "Lincoln and I are good together, he's even meeting my friends during my birthday lunch tomorrow," I try to say confidently, but I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous about that.

He seems to think for a second, "Is that so? Where are you going?"

"The teahouse downtown," I reply.

"Fancy," he chuckles, "I hope it goes well."

Jason

After Katie and I part ways, I take out my phone and make a call.

"Hey Becky, it's your birthday next week right? How about we have an early celebration at my place tonight, invite everyone. I'll come pick you up."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Is it just me or do café scenes always make things all deep and tense between characters??

Thanks for reading!