Chapter 1; School

I will be referring to Kokichi as Usosuki interchangeably; there is little meaning to it other than the general thoughts/actions that the people in the paragraph are describing.

- THIRD PERSON POV -

Kokichi listened in on Shuichi and Kyoko's conversation about trying to catch him, hiding a smirk. They didn't suspect a thing.

Suddenly, there were hands slamming down on his desk. Kokichi looked up to see some guy with hair similar to his, but styled differently. "May I help you?"

"My name's Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars! I wanna get to know ya, so tell me about yourself, Usosuki!" The random kid, now identified as Kaito, spoke loudly.

Kokichi glanced down at his wrist. '9%'

Woah... that's the lowest number he's seen, by far. In fact, he didn't even know if it was possible for a number to get lower that 10%.. Damn. Looks like he wouldn't get along with this guy.

"Weeeellll, my name is Usosuki Wasureta! I'm the Ultimate Supreme Leader! I run a super secret evil organization with over ten-thousand members!" Kokichi spoke, faking his hyper-ness.

Shuichi felt his ears perk up in the seat next to him, he glanced at Kyoko to find she had also started listening in on the conversation between the two purple-haired males. Kyoko glanced back at him. They communicated with their eyes; as best friends do. They had a compatibility of 93%, which was quite a large percentage for not being complete 100's. So, the two were best friends and could basically communicate without words at that point.

Kaito let out a small gasp with a disbelieving look. "No way.. 10,000??"

"Well... who knows? As my name suggests, I'm a liar!" Kokichi let out a giggle at the end of that. Yeah, he wasn't very creative when coming up with his fake name.

Shuichi and Kyoko glanced at each other once again, both interested at Usosuki's behavior. Kyoko nodded, standing up from her desk.

Kaito furrowed his eyebrows. "What'dya mean?! Are you saying you lied about that?" He crossed his arms, growing frustrated with Usosuki. He couldn't stand lying.

Kokichi shrugged, giggling like a little bitch. "Well, I never said that! I just said I was a liar! You sure do assume things, Momota!" He swung his legs under his desk, now understanding why they had a 9% with this guy. So stupid.

"Why you-!"
"Excuse me?"

A calm voice suddenly made Kaito turn around and Kokichi look behind the tall male. Kyoko stood there, her arms crossed as she walked closer to Kokichi's desk. She lightly shoved Kaito out of the way; not that he minded.

"Usosuki Wasureta, yes? My name is Kyoko Kirigiri, one of the Ultimate Detectives at this school." Kyoko calmly spoke, reaching her hand out for Usosuki to shake,"I hope we can get along. Can I ask you some questions?"

Kokichi glanced down at his wrist. 87%. Huh, pretty good.

"Suuuuuurrrreeee~! Whatever you want Miss Detective!" Usosuki spoke, teasingly. Kyoko, in turn, only rolled her eyes. So childish. How could they have 87% if Kyoko wouldn't be able to stand this guy at all? Shuichi, meanwhile, listened in on their conversation while pretending to look at the crime files.

Kyoko sighed, shaking her head a little. "Well, what was your reasoning for going to Hope's Peak?"

"Same as everyone else, right? I mean, you're all Ultimates and I'm-"
"That's not what I meant. I mean, why are you joining us in the middle of the school year instead of at the beginning of this year or next year?"

Kokichi blinked. Shit. Oh shit. Time to lie, then. "I actually did join at the start of the year! I've just been absent for the past few months!"

This statement made Kyoko blink. Huh? How is that even possible? She thought over it for a minute, slowly giving up with a small sigh.

"Next question... What is this 'Organization' that you told Kaito about?"

"Oh? That's a simple one!" Kokichi giggled. How gullible were these people? "Weeellll, it wouldn't be much of a secret organization if I told you about it, now would it~?" Kyoko forced herself to stay calm. On the inside, she was growing quite agitated with Usosuki's inability to answer any of her questions properly.

Nevertheless, she smiled lightly. "Yes, I suppose you are correct in that matter." She then placed her gloved hands on the liar's desk, her smile not fading. "Now, tell me, will you be staying in a dorm on campus?"

"Duh-Doy! These people here are given luxuries and I deserve to be treated like the king I am~!"
"What dorm number have you been assigned?"
"That's private information, is it not?"

Kyoko sighed, taking her hands off the desk and crossing them over her chest. "You have an answer for everything, don't you?" At this, Kokichi giggled.

"Mhm~!"

...

Silence.

Kyoko gazed at the boy, looking him up and down. Short, thin, peppy, colorful above the neck - bland below -, and secretive. Interesting. He was interesting, indeed. Still, Kyoko had to move on at some point. Some childish kid at school was the least of her concerns at that moment. So, she nodded. "Very well, that is all I needed for the moment."

Kokichi waved at her as she walked back to her seat slowly. "Bye-Bye! Let me know if ya need aaaannnnnnnyyyyything else!"

As Kyoko sat down, her and Shuichi shared some more glances. Kyoko thought that Usosuki posed little threat, but should still be put under a '?' despite this. Something about him rubbed her the wrong way, and this was evident in the demeanor she showed.

Shuichi sighed. "Let's just get back to the case.. There has to be a possible witness somewhere, right?"

Kokichi continued listening in on them. Knowing how close they were on figuring him out would be a great thing to know. If they knew nothing - which is how it seemed - then that means he was doing it right.

"What's that?"

Kyoko was pointing at something in the case file. It was an image of on of the crime scenes - and there were many different angles of this specific picture.

Shuichi narrowed his eyes, looking closer. "It looks like... a playing card?"

Kokichi stiffened. Fuck.

"It seems painted over. How did we miss it during the investigation?" Kyoko questioned, her eyebrows furrowing.

Fuck. This is bad, really bad. That was his card. One he had painted. He carries it on his person during every heist for good luck. He must have dropped it without noticing. And now, and the two detectives who posed the largest threat to him so far had just found it.