Chapter 18; Goodbye, My Old Friend

AAAAAAAAA IM SO HYPED FOR THIS CHAPTER! I'VE BEEN WORKING ON IT FOR A LONG TIME, TRYING TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT!!
TW - Ouchies will be made in this chapter, both physical and mental ones. If you couldn't read the chapter where Kokichi got shot, you shouldn't read this one either.

- THIRD PERSON POV -

It didn't take long for the young girl to realise that these two meant no harm. I mean, they had saved her after all.

So, the three of them sat down at a table, the girl eating food which she'd been deprived from in the care of her mother. The two soulmates watched her silently, and the only sound that could be heard was a fork hitting a plate when scraping up to get more mac and cheese.

Kokichi was the first to break the god-awful silence.
"So, what's your name? I'm Kokichi!" He smiled warmly, hoping it would help the girl feel comfortable and open up.

She looked up from her food, swallowing a mouthful before speaking. "My name is.. Mitsuko Kamiyama."

Shuichi tilted his head to the side. "That name sounds familiar..."
Mitsuko smiled at him. "Mhm! My father was a famous actor, and I did some stuff with him in public before he died, so it might be from that."

Kokichi had yet another question. "How old are you?"
"Seven!"

That seemed weird for only a moment. Her body was small, it would only be expected that a child aged four or five would look that small. But it made sense after a moment, she was underfed and lacking nutrients. They'd need to fix that.

It was now Shuichi's turn to ask a question, "So, Mitsuki, what happened with your mother that made her hurt you?"

She sighed in a high-pitched voice, almost as if she'd been asked this question a million times. "Mother always hurts me. But this time she tried to leave me alone in the woods. But I don't like the woods! It has tall trees and monsters in it! So I held on to her, and she got mad."

It was silent. Not a comfortable silence either. It was broken by Mitsuko. "..I'm sleepy.."

Shuichi smiled and stood up. "You can sleep in the spare room. I'll take y-"
There was a knock on the door, interrupting Shuichi. The two soulmates looked at eachother.

"Actually hun, I think I'll take her, ok?" Kokichi stood up, walking over to Mitsuko and picking her up. Mitsuko wrapped her arms around Kokichi's neck and legs around his waist for support.
Shuichi had gotten the hint. They had conversations of what to do if someone came to the door when no one was expected. Shuichi would answer, and Kokichi would hide. Kokichi was more likely to face serious charges in court than Shuichi was, so it was safer that way.

Meanwhile, Shuichi grabbed a shotgun. For protection, of course, just in case.
He hid the weapon, opening the door.

"Hello, Saihara." The voice was instantly recognized, not just that but it also scared the shit out of Shuichi.
Kyoko Kirigiri was at the door.

Shuichi stiffened up, fight or flight kicked in instantly. "K-Kirigiri?! What do you want? W-Why are you here?!"
Kyoko crossed her arms as if it were obvious. "You and your little boyfriend are both wanted criminals. Now also suspects in the kidnapping of Mitsuko Kamiyama."

It suddenly hit Shuichi. Mitsuko's mother had reported her sighting of him and his soulmate to the police.. fuck.

"K-Kidnapping?! No, please, it's just a misunderstanding-"

Kyoko grabbed a pair of handcuffs off her belt,"Tell it to the judge, Saihara. Put your hands behind your head while I list your rights."

However, Shuichi did not put his hands behind his head. He hit the wall harshly five times - a sign for Kokichi to hop out of a window and run. Hopefully he'd bring Mitsuko with him. "Saihara. Don't make me repeat myself."

Shuichi pulled out the gun and pointed it straight at Kyoko, removing the safety trigger instantly. Kyoko dropped her handcuffs and nearly reached for her gun.

"I wouldn't think about that if I were you." His pointer finger moved towards the trigger, the gun was aimed directly at Kyoko's head. If he shot, she'd die instantly. Recognizing this, Kyoko's hands fell limp at her sides.
"Saihara, don't do this. You can say you were manipulated and get off scott free. We can continue working together. The police know the location of this place. If you kill me now, not only will you be arrested for aiding an escaped criminal, you'll also be charged with first-degree murder."

In response, Shuichi's grip tightened around the gun, his hand shook slightly. "You sure didn't think that way when you aimed to kill my soulmate."
"That's different-"
"That's different my ass!"

Kyoko went silent. Shuichi did too for a moment.
"Leave, Kyoko. Say we weren't here and leave. I don't want to do this."

The purple-haired detective smiled warmly. "You don't have to, Shuichi." She held out her hand for him to take. "Come with me. We made such a great team together before that criminal entered your life."

Shuichi was silent for a moment once again.
"...Kokichi met Celeste in prison. She doesn't forgive you for what she did. She hates you."
"I know."
"I know that you know! But I don't want to be like that with Kokichi..!" Shuichi looked down for a moment. "I just can't," He looked back up, locking eyes with Kyoko. His hand steadied and he moved forward, the cold metal glock of the gun pressed against Kyoko's forehead. "LEAVE."

She made no move to leave, not at all. "I'd rather die than let criminals have their way."

"...Have it your way, then."

It was silent, for a moment Kyoko had hope that Shuichi would come with her like she'd asked.
That was until a gunshot was heard. And blood splattered all over Shuichi. Kyoko's body fell limp to the ground, red now covered her long pastel hair and every facial feature of hers that Shuichi had come to know. Even coming out of her nose and mouth. It looked painful. But she was already dead, and dead people cannot feel pain.

Somewhere in the woods, Kokichi heard the gunshot. An asleep Mitsuko was in his arms as he sat in the spot Shuichi and he were to meet in case of emergency. In fears that his beloved was shot, he ran back.

He couldn't believe his eyes. In front of the door Shuichi stood, eyes widened with shock as he stared at what he'd done. "Holy shit..." Kokichi whispered, looking up at the now scarred Shuichi.

He ran inside and put Mitsuki in the bed she fell asleep in, not wanting her to wake up and see what had happened. Once he ran back to Shuichi, he found he was still standing, still staring, still processing. Kokichi put his hand on the detectives shoulder. "Saihara-Chan..."

Shuichi didn't react. Kokichi tried to pull him away. "N-No!" Shuichi yelled, moving out of Kokichi's grip to kneel down in the pool of blood around his feet. He grabbed onto the friend he had just killed, refusing to let go despite Kokichi's best efforts.

"Shuichi we need to get out of here!! Before the cops come.." This was the statement that seemed to finally snap Shuichi out of it. He looked, back at Kokichi, completely covered in blood.

"It will all be ok, Saihara-Chan..."