Chapter 5; Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are

Haha angst go brrrr

- THIRD PERSON POV -

Kokichi felt his legs buckle underneath him, making him quickly fall to the ground. No. No! After everything he's worked for tirelessly, Shuichi just figured out who he was.

The detective instantly dropped to his knees as well, hugging Kokichi tight as he trembled and sobbed in his arms. He knew the answer to his question was yes. The real question now was what to do.

"Sh-Shuichi... I-I'm so sorry! J-Just don't arrest me, p-please, I-"
"Just go..."
"W-What..?"

Shuichi wiped away a stray tear. "Go, run, before someone else finds out! Please! Go anywhere, I don't care! Just... run..."

Kokichi stood on shaky legs, grabbing his bag once again. Every movement he made was hesitant. Shuichi now knew about who he was... but he was still being let go. Why? What was his soulmate even doing?!

Upon further inspection, Kokichi could see that Shuichi had rivers of tears streaming down his face. And that's when the guilt truly flooded in. Oh god, he's such a bad person... The guilt of everything - the manipulation, the stealing, the lying, everything. - hit him like a wall of bricks. "Sh-Shuichi, I'm-"

"Just go!"
"........"

Kokichi didn't move an inch.

"I-I'm going to need to tell Kyoko, y'know! S-So go! I don't want you to be arrested! Even worse, shot..!"

Kokichi gulped, his shaking legs making their way to the door. His hand rested on the handle for a moment as he looked back at Shuichi.
"I love you..."

More silence ensued. Shuichi offered no response; no 'I love you, too.' But who could blame him?

"Goodbye, K-Kokichi..."

— — —

"You did what?!"

The uncharacteristically angered yell came from Kyoko as she slammed her hands down on the desk. The anger made Shuichi flinch.

Yeah, he had let Kokichi escape, so what? Now he had to tell Kyoko and, obviously, she wasn't happy.

"QI can't believe that you could be so selfish, Saihara." The younger detective winced at the use of his family name instead of his first name. Shit. He fucked up. "Do you know what other detectives would do to have the chance of arresting that man?! Do you understand how selfish it is that you let him get away for no reason other than your own personal gain?!"

Shuichi trembled, feeling tears come to his eyes for the second time that day. He didn't mean any harm! He just wanted his soulmate to be safe! Was that such a bad thing? "K-Kyoko-"

"-Kirigiri."
"-K-Kirigiri... I-I'm sorry..."

The detective ran a hand through her lavender hair, sighing as her temper began to settle. "I am too, I shouldn't have yelled." She paused for a moment. "You're his soulmate, right? Any ideas where he might be?"

Shuichi thought for a moment, about to say no. That was when he remembered something; something that Kokichi and him had talked about prior to their... er... 'love making' session the night before.

- FLASHBACK LIGHT, ON -

The two boys walked together, hand in hand, in the direction of the store. Kokichi smiled up at Shuichi, his eyes sparkling. "You know, the place where me and the subordinates of my organization normally hang is like aaaallll the way on the other side of town! I've never been here before!"

"Really?" Shuichi let out a small chuckle, finding Kokichi's antics somewhat amusing. "Where do you normally go to get food and stuff, then?"

Kokichi hummed in thought. "We normally just steal from the local Walmart! You know, the one right off Ocean Ave?"

Shuichi let out a gasp. "U-Usosuki! You shouldn't be stealing! Even if it's from a large business, that's-"

"Calm down! I was just lying! Not about the Walmart part, though."

- FLASHBACK LIGHT, OFF -

Shuichi hadn't thought of it much then, but now it seemed that this slip of personal information might be useful. "...Well, as strange as it is, he mentioned that he - or at least someone close to him - tends to shop at the Walmart near Ocean Avenue. It's not much, but it's something."

Kyoko nodded, a small and calm smile returned to her face. "Well then, we mustn't wait another moment. I'll call the school and tell them what's going on. I'm sure they won't mind."

With that said, the school was informed of the situation. The principal gladly offered as many days for them to work as they needed; saying that it would help them grow their Ultimate Talents.

Their only preparation was grabbing tool belts with everything they'd need and putting it around their waist. Kyoko insisted that they'd put on bullet proof vests, despite Shuichi's protest. No way he would believe that Kokichi would ever attack them; or at least attack him. He understood why Kyoko wanted one on, but for the life of him couldn't understand why he had one on.

Of course, his attempts to find out were in vain.

They began heading towards the Walmart.

— — —
Sorry that this is so short; the next chapter will be extra long.