THE ENGAGEMENT

VIKRAM

Our parents decided to keep the engagement in a temple. They wanted the engagement to be simple. We got the engagement rings. Keerthana didn't come as she had an important meeting. Five days after the first and embarrassed meeting, we had our engagement.

I was feeling guilty after I thought about the incident on our first meeting.  It continued for 5 days till engagement.I decided to go and apologise to her about that day.

The day of engagement came. We finally reached the Shiva temple where we had engagement. I searched for her to apologise." Are you searching for Keerthana?" Nandita chuckled.  "Mind your own business. " She went smiling. There she is. She was wearing a yellow saree and pink blouse, with a neatly tied hair with flowers. She looked so good. She was awesome. And she looked calm and...... wait, don't judge a book by its cover. Last time I made the same mistake and approached her.

She was smiling and laughing. But when she looked at me, I could see the flame in her eyes. I was about to approach her but she moved away without looking me and sat in between her parents. Even I sat opposite to her as the rituals began. My grandma came as she told. She was so happy to see me getting married. She whispered that Keerthana is a heavenly beauty in my ears.

I was blushing without my knowledge. But why? I saw Keerthana and she completely ignored me by looking down. There were plates containing coconuts, chocolates, saree, etc. The priest finished chanting mantras and our parents exchanged the plates. Then they took the engagement rings and asked us to exchange it. They gaveus the engagement rings.

First it was my chance and Keerthana held her hands without interest. I held her hands and put the ring. Still she didn't see me. She took her hands from mine immediately and it was her turn.
I held my hands and she held it now. Now also no improvement. The engagement was over at last.

I was so hungry. I took my watch to see the time. It was 8:30AM. We decided to finish the breakfast together. We went to the nearby restaurant. We had a big table and sat together.
Me and Keerthana sat together. Actually they made us to sit together. She was fed up. I knew it. Even me. I made attempts but it was a complete failure. She gave the most freaking stares when I see her everytime.

My mom asked her about her pale face. "I had a project to complete auntie. I slept at 12 and woke up at 4." She said that in a drowsy tone. Once more she was about to give one such freaky stare but I gave something dreadful which made her upset till the end.

Even I am a man and I have emotions. I stopped going to her to make attempts and talk. I will not lose my dignity and self-respect anymore. She did not say a hi or bye. It was irritating me to the core. Anyways, we are gonna get married in 2 weeks. But still I can't take her behaviour.

KEERTHANA

"Life is a box of chocolates....."  that Forrest Gump dialogue rang inside me. I was literally crying for the whole night after our first meeting. After 5 days engagement. When he said 'I like Keerthana ', it was like as if someone hitting my cheeks repeatedly (left and right side).

I had nightmares where I was a terrorist and running for my life and Vikram caught me and handcuffed me. He was shouting, "I have caught her at last. "

The day before engagement, Aishwarya stayed with me as she is good at make over. My uncle and aunt came too. It was nearly 10 and my mom told me to sleep. Aishu knows everything as I spilled the beans to her. She was more excited to see Vikram despite I told about his attitude.

"Do you have his photo?" She asked as she was scrolling my gallery in my phone.
Why the hell should I give him a place in my phone? I won't give him a place in my heart first of all.

"He won't be that handsome as you expect."

"Why is that so?"

"If you are interested, go and marry him and I will be a big support for it. I won't marry him"

"Keep your Vikram yourself"

"He is not mine"

"Then after marriage...."

I cut the stupid conversation and slept. I woke up at 4 AM and got ready by 4:45AM. We reached the Shiva temple by 15 minutes as it was close by.

My plan was to completely ignore him and not to talk to him. My mom and dad asked me 100 times why didn't I talk to Vikram. 'Oh my God! Just leave me alone!' I shouted inside my heart.

Anyways, engagement is over and the preparations started. My foreign relatives came 5 days before the wedding. When I look at the ring, I remember that I am not free as anymore. 'Life can take differnt turns. But we need to face the things.' I said to myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey my dear readers, looks like a cold war is going now between the two. Will they compromise themselves? Or will it continue?

Let's see in the upcoming chapters and please vote for me😊