fourteen

The dining table is not one of those places where you'd find Arsalaan Baig easily. He rarely ever eats with his family and after his marriage, even that was stopped eventually. Maybe that's why everyone was so shocked at his appearance on the table that day. Rahila passed him heart eyes, ignoring which he pulled a chair for Malaika, she smiled at him in return. And to say that he smiled back at her made everyone freeze in shock would be an understatement. 

Arsalaan is not someone who smiles! Not to anyone other than his sister at least. Which gave all the more reasons for Saira phupho to fume in anger, it was supposed to be her daughter! Who should have been in Malaika's place, damn her! 

"Arsalaan beta. Eat this, my daughter has prepared it especially for you." smirking at Malaika, she served him with chicken korma, but Malaika stopped her in midway making Rahila glare at her in irritation, "he only eats light food for breakfast."

Arsalaan smiled at her again, "you didn't have to do this, Rahila. I have bread and omelette for my breakfast."

Rahila's face fell at that. Masking it with a fake smile, "should I prepare that then?" She asked with slightly hopeful eyes.

"No, that's not needed. Don't bother yourself, come with me." Arsalaan signalled Malaika, who followed him behind with a small smile on her face.

His uncle's family couldn't care less, except for Ayesha, who was fuming in frustration. So were Rahila and her family.

But Urwa Baig was all smiles and cheerful at the sight of her grandson being happy. She always felt guilty for ignoring him when he needed her the most, but when his parents died; her own husband was fighting for his life, which made it difficult for her to decide between who should she take care of first. She chose her husband and couldn't give the mental support little Arsalaan needed the most, which has caused him to distance himself from everyone.

Her second son and daughter almost didn't care about him, for they had their own business to mind. The Baig family is what they call a namesake family. Everyone in there was selfish and self-centred which made Arsalaan bitter and cold, he only ever cared about his sister who became the world to him. If she smiles, then he'd smile. If she cried then he'd cry along with her. He loved her so damn much. She was his world and will always be the most important person in his life.

Inaya wasn't a bad person but she's used to getting everything she needed without any second questions. All her demands were totally harmless until she wanted her husband. But hearing her first no made her so crazy that she was ready to die. She was actually going to die if not for her brother who came up just on time. His heart stopped beating that day as he took her in his arms and rushed to the hospital. That day changed everything. A drop of tear rolled down her cheeks as she eyed her grandmother, who looked at her knowingly.

Only now has she realized how selfish and vile she has become. She'd destroyed people's lives for her one stupid demand which made her heart sink in sadness and guilt. Her heart ached feeling not being loved by Zayn. He'd deserve much better anyway. At this moment she knew what to do. With a sigh, she got up to go.

•••

Malaika had her head outside of the window throughout the ride. She had no idea where he is taking her. But her heart trusted him completely which made her sit quietly and enjoy the fresh air, slightly filled with pollution.

"I'm surprised as to why you did not ask where are we going, yet." Arsalaan gave her an amused look, she smiled at that.

"Leave about that, are you hungry?" He asked whilst holding her hand in his. The traffic is not going to clear for the next few minutes anyway.