twenty seven

It felt unreal.

It's been three weeks, yet it felt unreal.

To have Malaika on his bed, snuggled close into him, with her tempting lips pouted cutely in her sleep. It felt un-freaking-real. Arsalaan smiled at the sight in front of him. The sight which he has missed waking up to, for all those months. She smelled of oranges, his favourite intoxicating smell that he missed like a mad man. Closing his eyes, he lived in the moment and told himself that it wasn't a dream. And she wasn't going to vanish like every other day.

"I'm not going to vanish, Arsalaan," she whispered sleepily, shifting more close to him, listening to his rapid heartbeats. Malaika could understand her husband's emotions, he told her of the dreams, that he used to have every single day. The one in which she'll be with him, so close to him... just like this but would vanish seconds before he woke up. Making his already depressed day more depressing.

"I know." he hummed inhaling her scent, whilst placing a kiss on her hair, a smile appeared on her face at that. The alarm for fajr prayer began to ring, startling the both of them. Detaching himself from her, Arsalaan swiped it off and Malaika immediately missed his warmth. Reluctantly, she too got up from her sleepy state and looks at him whilst rubbing her eyes vigorously.

"You don't have to pray right?" she hummed with a shy smile, "then sleep." she pouted at that and he came forward to peck her pout without any hesitation, making her cheeks go on fire.

Now that her memories are back and there's no fear of any possible hate, he is openly expressing his affections which she equally enjoys and the reaction that he gets from her every single time is priceless. He missed that shy and blushing face of hers. Which made it feel all the more unreal.

"I don't want to sleep," she mumbled to herself whilst suppressing a yawn. Smiling at her, he got up from the bed and goes to do his ablution and performed his morning prayer, thanking the almighty for blessing him with the best gift ever possible. He's thankful to have her back in his life. And will never let her go again. Not even in the dreams. In the end, he ended up crying. He did that every day.

Malaika's heart ached to see him cry like that, she knew he still hasn't forgiven himself for whatever he did with her, the tears that he sheds every day is the proof of that. She can see his regret and repentance. But doesn't says anything to him, thinking he will let it go, and maybe she was wrong.

When the prayer was done, Arsalaan was surprised to find an empty bed. He clearly remembered telling her to get back to sleep, a small frown appeared on his face as he wondered where she was. Placing the prayer mat in the cupboard, he goes out in search of her.

***

The rising of the sun and the chirping of the birds brings a smile to her face as she gazed at the sky in a daze. She was in awe when a cat jumped into their porch and scared the poor watchman, a chuckle left her mouth as she watched him shoo away the poor cat. It was a funny sight from the terrace.

"What's so funny?" Arsalaan's husky voice made her jump in surprise, as she wasn't expecting him to sneak up like that.

"The cat." she smiled fondly at the gate, where the cat was still troubling the poor watchman. Who seem exhausted already, the day has just begun though.

"You like cats?" he asked whilst sitting on the pillar as he faced her, Malika's eyes widened at that as she pulled him away, "you'll fall down."

"I won't." chuckling at her reaction, he stood beside her, placing his hands on her shoulders. She looks up at him sideways, with a shake of her head. His heart skipped a beat when he understood the care in her voice as she pulled him away. What did he do to deserve her?