Chapter 32: Meeting the Enemy

Misaki's POV

Before we could plan our next move, Blaster Blade told us to rest. "I thought we've no time to waste?" Leon said. "This isn't a good place to continue your training. The best and closest one is not an easy travel either so I suggest you sleep for now. We leave tomorrow." Said the paladin before turning back into a card."Nice of him to leave us here," Chris murmured sarcastically.  "And leave Kai and Aichi drained of their energies?" I turned to the two who were unconscious, possibly by exhaustion. They didn't even bother to rest in a comfortable position. " Misaki's right, besides, they made the right choice. We have to rest if we want to reach our destination tomorrow." Ren had forced us to agree and sleep.

The next day...

Aichi's POV

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh" I woke up from the bright light of day. After awhile, I jumped straight up upon realizing my position last night. I was asleep on Kai's lap! I said to myself with a hint of embarrassment. Then I heard a little groaning, turning to Kai, I saw him opening his eyes but looking half asleep. "Good morning Kai" I tried to fully wake him up. "Good morning..." still half awake, "where are the others?" Now his almost awake. Looking around, I finally spotted them. "There they are." Kai, now fully awake, turnes to see our friends sound asleep. "We best wake them now. There are lots to do today." He said. "Sure"

When everyone was fully energized, we had one more thing to do before leaving this place. "Rise up, our avatar! Defend your allies and lead them to victory! Let's go, Blaster Blade Defender!" Said Kai as the card shone and disappeared, a fierce worrior took its place. "We're ready." I said and Blaster Blade simply nodded. We then departed from the deserted place we have been accustomed to, now heading towards the unknown.

Kai's POV

(A few hours later)

We finally reached a magnificent forest. I couldn't believe how big it's trees are and just like the deserted plain, no units were in sight.

"How much longer?" Naoki complained. "Be patient!" Misaki said. "We have almost reached it. Just a little further." Said the unit as he pointed to the middle of the forest. "Yes! Finally, we're here." Naoki said before running ahead. Kamui and Chris, being their childish selves, followed after Naoki. The rest of us continued to walk towards the middle.

If the forest is magnificent, then its middle is breathtaking. Grassy meadows are rarely found in a forest and this one has a magical atmosphere. Blaster Blade then lead us to a white cave.

"Wait, were going inside the cave? The d-ddark ssp-ooky cc-ave" Kamui froze. "Why? You scared?" Chris taunted. "No I'm not! I was just confirming." Kamui said without eye contact. "Whatever you say" Chris murmured and we continued walking. These two... I told myself.

Aichi's POV

"Were here" Blaster Blade said as we reached the cave's core. Our mouths dropped the moment we took sight of it. The place is unbelievable. It wasn't just one obstacle course, it was a hundred! As if the cave was only the way in. As far as I can tell, there is a training ground for every field. When Blaster Blade saw our expressions, he smirked. "This is were we units start training ourselves. We had to be able to survive in each situation given and this place was built exactly for that purpose."

"And you want us to train here?!?" Kamui shouted.

"You would only be given one obstacle each. However, in order to physically strengthen yourselves, you have to separate." Said the unit before assigning a field suitable for each of us to train. "Summoning your avatars is allowed but they will only help you when needed." He then lead us to our separate obstacles.

《《Time skip》》

After succeeding the physical enhancement tests, we still had time before dusk. We took this as an opportunity to ask the units what they knew about Yami.

Miwa's POV

"What you know of the enemy is the same with the information we have. But for some unknown reason, he doesn't seem to be making a move on capturing one of his two targeted vanguards." explained Alfred while facing Aichi and Kai. "Isn't that a good thing?" Naoki said but Alfred disagreed.

"No, that would only mean Yami may be waiting for the moment we are at our weakest."

With those words, Gaillard realized the situation.  "If that really is his true intention, then he plans to capture both Aichi and Kai at the same time... possibly taking the rest of us with them." The units kept silent.

"Aw c'mon guys! All we have to do is to always be alert right? He can't surprise us that easily. So long as we keep that up, what could possibly go wrong?" Kamui said but none of us seem to be on his side. Does he even know what he's saying?

"Have you no idea what that expression could do?!" Chris said. "What? You mean 'what could possibly go wrong?'" Kamui naively repeated those words. "Now you've done it!" Chris snapped and the two started to argue once again.

While they argued, the ground shook and all units suddenly turned back into cards. We went outside to see what triggered the earthquake but that became our undoing. Just outside the entrance of the cave was a man. He wore a black cloak so we couldn't see what he looked like but the dark aura emitting from him gave off his identity.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the Vanguards. Nice to finally meet the illusionary hope of this planet. How you mock me! Do they really think some Earthlings would actually be able to stop me? Absolute nonsense!"

"YAMI!"

Misaki's POV

Hearing about the enemy cannot be compared from seeing him first hand. Fear has striked me and everything I've been holding back is appearing before me. Though I was paralyzed with fear, I can see that Yami has implanted this feeling to all of us.

"How does it feel? Terrible isn't it?" Yami said with a mocking tone. "That's it! I like your faces. More! Let fear consume you more! Give in for you will never defeat me!"

I tried calling out my card but it doesn't seem to be working.

"Useless effort! Your avatars will not be able to rescue you. I've sealed their cards temporary, long enough to destroy the light entrusted to you Vanguards."

Even with those words, none of us wavered. We conquered our fears easily and none of us backed down.

"I'm impressed you can still stand strong against me. That shouldn't be. If that's the case... I'll just take one of you then!" Yami then dissappeared and reappeared in front of me, taking me with him before leaving again.

________________________________________

Gomenasai minna for the long wait. Exams are coming up so I've been busy with requirements. I deeply apologize for the wait.

Read, comment, vote and enjoy minna~♡