Chapter 1

Six Months Later

Old buildings lay over the terrain. It was once a city but that was years ago. It was quiet. Everything was still and ruined. A man with dark curly hair and some gray and white strands sat in his truck...waiting. A girl with dark hair just touching her shoulders sat in the passenger's seat. The truck was sitting on top of a small hill but the drop in front of the car was pretty steep. The man looked at his pocket watch and then put it in his jacket. "They're late." He stated. The girl looked at her own watch and then continued to stare out the window. All of a sudden, a train whistle was heard. The two looked in the direction the sound came from. The man calmly started the car while the girl loaded her gun. They looked at each other for a second before the man drove down the steep drop to drive right beside the train they had just heard. The man sped up, trying to reach the front of the train. As he reached the front, the drivers of the train quickly spotted the vehicle.

Another truck came into view on the other side of the train while the train drivers were distracted by the other truck. A man with long hair and a beard was driving the vehicle while a boy with short dark brown hair sat in the passenger's seat. The boy in the passenger's seat of the new truck grabbed his walkie talkie and spoke into it. "Brenda, we're coming up behind, keep 'em busy!" He yelled over the loud engine. The girl in the first truck stood up through the sunroof of the truck with her gun in hand. She pointed the gun at the train drivers and shot at them, making the drivers duck for cover. The girl quickly sat back down in her seat while the man driving started laughing.

There were kids inside one of the train cars. Their hands were all chained to the train's ceiling. One boy in particular, who was asian and had jet black hair and really pale, heard the commotion outside. He slowly lifted his head and looked around as a confused look spread across his face.Other kids began to look around as well. Oddly enough, there was one girl who didn't lift her head. She had a blank look in her eyes as if she wasn't aware of anything around her. She was extremely pale and skinny. Her brown hair was down to the bottom of her back so it was pulled back into a worn out french braid.

"Call it in!" One of the train drivers ordered the other. The other quickly followed his orders. He pulled out a walkie talkie.

"Transport zero-one-niner, we got trouble on the rail line! Mile 23, send backup, send backup!" He yelled into the walkie talkie. A berg had been flying overhead somewhere closeby. They received the distress call and quickly flew in the train's direction.

The truck that had been sneaking up behind the train drove right onto the train tracks. The truck sped up towards the train. The man driving the truck looked to the boy next to him. "This is crazy Thomas!" He shouted.

Guards came out of the doors of the front of the train and began shooting at the first truck that held the girl and the man with dark curly hair. The two ducked while trying to keep driving next to the train. Thomas started climbing out of his truck and crawled onto the hood. He grabbed the hook that was attached to the front of the truck and shouted to the man driving. "Get in closer!" The man sped up even more. Thomas reached out and attached the hook to the back of the train. Thomas then jumped onto the back of the train. "Come on Vince!" He shouted back to the man in the truck. Vince climbed out of the truck to the hood. Just then, one of the truck's tires popped, making Vince almost fall off the truck. "Vince!" The hook wouldn't hold for much longer. Vince stood up. "Jump!" Vince jumped off the truck just as the hook went loose and the truck was gone. Thankfully, Vince made it on the train. Vince and Thomas looked back at the truck, which was now upside down. "Come on!" Thomas shouted as he began to climb a ladder to the top of the train.

"Hey!" Vince shouted as he pointed to something in the distance behind them. "Berg!" Thomas turned to see the berg quickly coming up on the train. The pilots of the berg spotted Vince and Thomas.