Chapter 17

It had been a couple weeks and my shoulder had finally healed. I was putting some more wood on the wood pile when Minho came up to me. "What do you want?" I asked exasperatedly.

     "Your shoulder healed."

     "Good observation." I responded sarcastically. Minho and I were always teasing each other this way. "What about it?"

     "Well...it's healed so you can, you know, move and-"

     "You want me to train you." I stated. Minho let out a deep sigh and nodded his head. "See, it doesn't hurt your pride that bad, now, does it?" Minho shook his head and squinted his eyes at me.

     "I despise you." He replied.

     "The feeling is mutual my friend." I shot back.

     "Well, will you train me?" I let out a deep sigh as I walked past him and headed toward the beach. Minho followed, expecting his answer.

     "Fine." I answered.

     "Thanks Sky!"

     "Whatever. Come on. I got the perfect spot."

     "Wait. We're starting now?"

     "Unless you have other things to do."

     "No no. I'm good."

     "Great. Let's go."

     I trained Minho when I could over the last couple days but I made sure to have some time to myself. I sat in my favorite spot on the hill when Brenda showed up. "Hey." She greeted.

     "Hey." I responded. Brenda sat next to me.

     "Newt should be waking up soon." She informed me. I looked down at my lap.

     "Good."

     "'Good'? That's it? Thought you'd be more excited than that to hear that your boyfriend should be waking up." I whipped my head around to look at her.

     "What are you talking about?"

     "Oh come on Sky. Don't think I don't know that you have feelings for him. I know the look that you give him. It's the same look I give Thomas." I slowly look back down at my lap. "Don't deny it. It doesn't help. You don't have to lie to me. Tell me what you're thinkin'."

     "I don't know....I don't know if I do have feelings for him. I know I care for his well being but I care for all your guys' well being so it's not that different."

     "But it's still different?"

     "I don't know. And so what if I do like him? That doesn't matter because he could never feel anything for me."

     "What makes you say that."

     "Well if we want to start with the most recent signs I almost killed him." I finally announced. "I mean he wanted me to kill him but I actually almost did without even thinking because I heard my dad's voice in my head telling me to kill him-and-and out of habit I actually almost listened to him. My dad's voice told me how to take him down-what moves to use and where to hit-and I followed the instructions blindly. I might kill anyone and not even realize it until I've actually done it. I'm dangerous, Brenda. No one deserves someone who was trained to kill. No one." I finished. Brenda stared at me calmly for a while.

     "You're not a killer, Sky." She finally stated. "You might've been trained to kill but that doesn't make you a killer. Even though you heard your dad tell you to kill Newt, you didn't. You would never try to kill him. Because you care for him. Sky, I trust you more than anyone and I would never think you could kill me. Don't ever think you're a killer because you aren't. You hear me?" I slowly nodded my head. "Good.  Now, explain to me why you insisted on going into the WCKD facility. I know there was something more going on in your head." I took a quick deep breath and looked out at the sea.

     "I had a dream. I dreamed about my brother......He told me to watch over Newt. To not leave his side. I know it sounds crazy but-"

     "I believe you." Brenda interrupted. "I mean, if it weren't for you, Newt or Thomas could've died that night." I gave small nods in agreement. "Now, why don't you go do some training with Minho. That's my entertainment of the day!" I gave her the smallest hint of a smile and stood up.

Newt POV

     I slowly opened my eyes and looked at my surroundings. It looked like I was in a small room made of wood. I sat up and took in my surroundings. I got to my feet and slowly made my way over to the doorway. I pulled back the sheet that covered the doorway and made my way out. As I walked out I ran into someone who was going in. It was Thomas. "Newt?"

     "Hey Tommy." Thomas gave me a bone crushing hug before dragging me off to see everyone else. He explained everything that happened while I was out, even what happened with Janson and Teresa. "I'm sorry Tommy."

     "Well you're here now so let's get the others." Thomas obviously didn't want to dwell on the subject so I followed him into the camp. We found Frypan first. "Hey Fry! Guess who's awake." Fry looked up and saw us and let out a loud laugh as he gave me a hug, more bone crushing than Tommy's.

     "Bout time you woke up." Fry stated as he pulled away from the hug.

     "Nice to see you too, Fry." I responded.

     "Do you have any idea where Minho is?" Thomas asked Fry.

     "Yeah. Sky took him up for some training."

     "'Training'?" I repeated.

     "Yeah, Minho's been begging for Sky to train him. They've been doing it for a couple days now." Frypan explained. I nodded my head. I wanted to see Sky as soon as possible. I wanted to talk to her but I don't even know if she'll want to talk to me after what happened. I actually don't remember much but I wanted to make sure she was okay.

     "I think I remember where they train, come on." Thomas waved his hand for us to follow him and I noticed a bracelet on his wrist. It looked exactly like the one Skylar wore. Wait. What if it is the one Skylar wore. Why would she give it to him? How much has changed since I've been out? Who knew you could dwell so long on a bracelet because when I looked up we were already where they were training.

     It was a nice flat area with short grass all around the ground. Minho and Skylar were in the middle of the area and Brenda was watching them from the side. Minho had tried to take a hit at Sky but she ducked and hit him right in the stomach. Minho then tried to sweep her from under her feet but she jumped. Minho tried to punch her again but she blocked both of his arms, pushed them away and kicked him right in the chest, knocking him to the ground. Wow, she's amazing. Brenda started to laugh while Skylar walked over and held out her hand to help him up. He took her hand and staggered back to his feet. Minho then pointed a finger at Brenda. "Shut up." He told her.

     "Minho!" Thomas called. Minho turned his head in our direction along with Skylar and Brenda. Minho ran over and I received yet another hug.

     "Bout time you woke up." Minho remarked as he pulled away from the hug. I gave him a smile and then looked back to where Skylar had been standing only to see that she wasn't there anymore. Brenda was gone too.