Chapter 16

It had been a couple days since I had woken up and I had been doing everything I could to keep myself busy. Which wasn't much since my arm was in a sling. But I finally cut my hair to where it was now only a couple inches below my shoulders and I had found a nice spot up a hill that looked over the beach and the camp. It was the place where I could clear my head and be somewhat at peace. Only Brenda knew about my spot. I was actually making my way up to it when Brenda stopped me. "Where are you going?" She asked in surprise.

"Um, I think you know where." I responded.

"Didn't you hear?"

"Hear what?"

"Thomas is up and he has the cure for Newt."

"Wait-What-Where-Where is he?"

"Come on."

By the time I got back to the med-house Thomas had already given Newt the cure. It was surprising how different Newt was already looking from the cure. When I had walked in Minho, Fry, Vince, and Thomas were already there. "Where have you been?" Minho asked when he saw me arrive.

"Out." I answered distractedly as I walked over to stand next to Newt's side right beside Thomas. "He's cured?" Thomas nodded his head in response. "It's nice to see you on your feet."

"It's nice to be on them." Thomas responded. "How's your shoulder?" He gestured to the sling.

"Healing." I responded. "Do we know how long it will take until he wakes up?"

"Who knows? It could probably take a couple weeks since he's been fighting the virus for so long and exhaustion was probably filling him up with every dose of serum we had to give him." Vince answered. I nodded in response to his words as I continued to stare down at Newt. The memories of the night in the Last City came flooding back. It started to become too much for me to handle so I quickly exited the room and immediately made my way to my favorite spot. I didn't stop walking until I had made it all the way up the hill and looked over the camp.

My breathing was quick, almost like I was hyperventilating, but it wasn't from the trek up the hill. I couldn't stop thinking of how I could've killed him. I closed my eyes and tried to steady my breathing when I heard someone behind me. I turned to see Thomas. "This place was supposed to be a secret." I tried to joke.

"Sorry I..."

"No you're fine. Brenda already knows my favorite spot so it's not much of a secret anyways." Thomas nodded his head in response. It was silent for a moment before Thomas talked again.

"I just wanted to make sure you were okay." I looked down at the ground and nodded in understanding. "Are you?"

"No. Nothing about me is okay." Thomas furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm out of control. I could kill someone and all it takes is for that voice in my head to tell me to." My voice got louder with every word I spoke.

"What voice?"

"My dad's." I choked.

"You remember your dad?"

"Not all of him but I remember a little. His voice was one of the most distinct things I can remember. The yelling....the rage when I forgot a move....the anger when I held back."

"He was training you." Thomas guessed. I just nodded my head again. "Why?"

"I can't remember. All I can remember is him reminding me during training to be prepared because my name could be picked."

"Picked?"

"I don't know. So much of my life is still a blur and it doesn't help when all I remember is the pain.......So, much, pain."

"I'm sorry Sky. I really am." Thomas stepped closer to me.

"You remind me of him." I finally announced as tears tried to appear in my eyes.

"Who?"

"Chris."

"Your brother?" I nodded my head. I took the bracelet off my wrist and held it out to him.

"Here."

"Sky I can't. It's yours-it's from your home-"

"It was my brother's." Thomas looked up at me, realization starting to fill his eyes. "He would want you to have it. And so would I." Thomas slowly took the bracelet from my hand and stared at it. "It's a mockingjay." I explained as he continued to stare at it. Thomas looked back up at me.

"Thank you."

"Of course." I responded.