Chapter 19

Newt POV

I sat in front of the bonfire with Thomas and Minho on either side of me. Minho and Thomas were discussing something but I couldn't really focus on their conversation, I was too worried about Skylar. Did she run off because she saw me? I wish I remembered all that happened but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't. I only remembered a few bits and pieces but the thing I remember most is Sky's voice saying something to me.

I trust you.

I couldn't stop thinking about it. That was until I heard Fry behind me say Skylar's name. I looked up and saw Brenda, Sonya, and Skylar walking towards us. My mouth opened slightly as my eyes widened when I saw Skylar. She looked different but still amazing all the same. Her hair, her eyes, her everything, was so bloody perfect and that's when I finally realized the truth. I fell for her. I wasn't the only one who noticed her outward changes. Unfortunately, a lot of other guys did as well. She sat on the other side of Thomas with Brenda on her other side. Do I say hi? Do I try and talk to her? That's when I saw the bracelet on Thomas' wrist again. Maybe I'm too late. I was distracted from my thoughts as Vince started to speak to us from the front of the crowd.

"We have come a long way together. So many have sacrificed so much to make this place possible. Your friends and your family. So here's to the ones who couldn't be here." Vince raised his cup and everyone else as well. "Here's to the friends we lost. This place is for you. It's for all of us. But this," He pointed to the tall rock behind him, "this is for them. So, in your own time, in your own way, come make your peace. And welcome to the Safe Haven!" Everyone cheered and clapped at his words.

Many people came to mind when I looked at that rock. Alby, Chuck, Winston, Zart, Jeff. All of them. After a while, Minho, Thomas, Fry, Gally, and I made our way to the rock and carved the names on the surface. Fry and Minho carved Winston and Zart and Ben's names and Gally carved Chuck's. I gave Gally a small smile. I knew he was trying to make peace with what he'd done. I then carved in Alby's name and Thomas did Teresa's. I put my hand on Tommy's shoulder as he stared at Teresa's name. As we stood back to gaze at the rock, I saw someone slowly walk past me and stood right in front of the rock. Skylar.

Skylar POV

People started to carve names and symbols into the rock in honor of the people they lost and only one name came to my mind. Chris. I just sat there, staring as Thomas, Newt, Minho, Fry, and Gally made their way towards the rock. Brenda stood up and looked at me, waiting for me to join them. "I'll be there in a minute." I told her. She looked at me for a moment before giving me a small nod and walking off to Thomas. I watched as Newt carved a name. Alby. I guess we all understood each other more than I thought. We all lost at least someone and I already knew that but it was like my mind really started to realize it now. I stood up and slowly made my way over to the rock, passed Newt and just stood in front of the rock for a moment, looking at all the names. After a moment I carved in Chris' name, laid my hand on it for a second, and took a step back.

I knew it was time to move on from my past. Just like Brenda said. I had a new life here, new friends....a new family. I took a deep breath and turned to see Brenda and Thomas staring at me with admiration in their eyes. I walked over to them and Brenda gave me a hug. I looked up at Thomas and he gave me a smile. "You okay bro?" I asked him. I had only called Thomas that for a few weeks. He really had become a brother to me. Thomas nodded and led Brenda and I over to the others who were already around the fire. I looked around the group and my heart sank when my eyes landed on Newt. A girl was sitting next to him and had her arm interlocked with his. She had long blonde hair and blue eyes and her skin was lighter than my own. I tried to ignore it as I sat down next to Brenda, Thomas sat down on my other side. Brenda soon noticed my change in mood.