Chapter 10

"No. There's gotta be another way." Thomas argued.

"Like what? You've seen the building, she is our only way in." Gally tried to convince Thomas. I was standing next to Thomas, leaning on the table in front of me. I looked over to Newt who was on Thomas' other side. He was leaning on the table on his elbows, staring blankly in front of him. He hasn't said anything since they got back.

"You really think she's gonna help us?"

"I don't plan on asking her permission." Gally replied.

"Am I missing something here?" Brenda jumped in. "This is the same girl who betrayed us correct? Same jerk?"

"I like her." Gally stated, pointing to Brenda.

"What's goin' on?" Brenda asked Thomas. I looked down at the table. I had a feeling I knew what was wrong but it wasn't my place to say anything. Thomas didn't say anything either.

"What, you're afraid your little girlfriend's gonna get hurt?" I shot my head up at Newt when he spoke. I was shocked at the harsh tone he was using with Thomas. He looked up at Thomas now. "Hm? This has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho. Has it?" I started to slowly straighten up as I looked from Thomas to Newt repeatedly.

"Newt, what're you talking about?" Thomas asked, confusion showing on his face.

"Teresa." Newt answered as he stood up straight. "She's the only reason that Minho's even missing in the first place." He began to walk towards Thomas, making Thomas back away towards the wall behind him. "Now we finally have an opportunity to get him back-and what-you don't want to because of her? Because deep down you still care about her don't you? Just admit it." Thomas stared at Newt before trying to answer.

"Newt I-"

"DON'T LIE TO ME!" Newt shouted as he shoved Thomas into the wall. I flinched at his sudden anger. I had never seen him like this before. "Don't! Lie! To me!"

"Newt." I finally spoke up, just loud enough to catch his attention. It was like someone flipped a switch. His face softened as realization dawned on him. He slowly backed away from Thomas.

"Sorry." He whispered to Thomas. He turned to the rest of us. "I'm sorry." He held his right arm with his left hand as he made his way out of the room. I looked at the ground in shock. I still couldn't quite take in what just happened. I quickly went after Newt. I didn't know why I felt I needed to be with him right now but I couldn't ignore the urge to do so. I slowed down as Newt came into view. I silently followed him up to the top of the building. He sat on the edge of the building, his legs dangling off the side. He still held his arm. I slowly walked up behind him. I made my way over and sat next to him. I didn't talk, I just sat there. "I'm sorry." I looked at him. He just stared at his arm.

"I hold nothing against." I reassured him.

"You should." I shook my head.

"You're not a bad person Newt." I hesitated before continuing on. "You're one of the best people I know." He looked away from his arm to look at me. He searched my eyes. He was trying to see if I was lying. I tried to hide at least some of my emotion but let out just enough to let him know I meant what I said. "I wouldn't lie to you Newt. Not about something like this." I heard someone walk up behind us. I turned my head to see Thomas slowly making his way over to us. "I'll let you guys talk." I said quietly as I began to stand up.

"No stay." I turned back to Newt. "You don't have to go." I stared at him. I finally settled myself back down next to him. It was quiet for a moment. "Sorry about that. Back there." Newt apologized to Thomas. "Guess I can't hide this anymore." He lifted his sleeve on his right arm to reveal black and purple veins spreading across his arm. My eyes widened and my mouth opened slightly. Thomas knelt down behind us, looking at Newt's arm thoroughly.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Thomas asked.

"Didn't think it would make any difference." Newt answered as he turned his head to look at Thomas. "All I know is that WCKD must've put me in that maze for a reason. And maybe it was literally just so they could tell the difference between Immunes like you and people like me."

"You know we can still fix this Newt. Okay? We can." Thomas tried to encourage Newt.

"Don't worry about me. This is about Minho. And now he needs us. So if there is even the slightest chance...that we can save him......that we can get him out of there, we have to take that." He looked at Thomas with a gaze of determination. "No matter what the cost."

"Okay, I hear you." Thomas responded. We were all silent now. I looked up to the buildings on the other side of the wall. Minho was in there, somewhere. I remembered my promise to Winston and I couldn't break it. Not as long as I was still breathing. I was going to protect Minho and Newt with my life. I turned my head to Thomas.

"Let's do this." I finally said. I gave him a determined expression. "Let's get Minho back."