Eight \\ Beacon Hills: A History

Eight \\

"Where are you staying in Beacon Hills?" Derek followed Koda out of the elevator in her and Brett's apartment building. He glanced around, it as nice as where the Argents and the Alpha Pack used to live.

"The hotel downtown. It's close to the hospital." Koda found herself thinking she'd never once brought a guy back to her apartment and it was only ridiculous that Derek would be the first. "I was only going to stay a week but with the deadpool around it may take longer."

"Are you scared?" Derek asked, the two of them outside of her apartment.

Koda looked up, keeping her eyes on his. "No, I'm not." She unlocked her door, going in after reluctantly taking her focus off of him.

Derek expected no other answer from Dakoda, whether she be a wolf or not. Even when they were teenagers she was always kind of like that.

"How have you stayed under the radar so well?" Derek hesitantly followed her inside, the apartment filling up with light as she leaned over to flick on a lamp.

"For starters I became good at forging documents," Koda said, shedding her coat before examining the cut in her hoodie. "I flipped Brett's name as his middle and changed mine completely, plus I moved our last names back to what they were before my stepdad changed them."

Derek stayed by the sofa as Koda wandered back to her room as she tugged off the Devenford Lacrosse hoodie. Still able to hear her as she went into the room at the end of the hall, he glanced around the home.

The aprtment was accently with photos of the pair over the years - lacrosse pictures as well as Dakoda in green graduation robes on Brett's back outside of their school. The whole place was minimalistic if you took it all in at once, giving them the ability to pack up and leave at a moment's notice.

"So you're Marie Talbot instead of Dakoda Stuart?" Derek touched the diploma from a university not too far way from them.

"Basically," Koda replied, touching the blood stained on the black tee she had on under her ruined hoodie. "It's better cover even though the Rhode Island police put my report out with Talbot included."

"I remember. They had it before your stepdad's last name when the news stations reported you and Brett missing." Derek set the nursing degree on the shelf before turning around.

"I never went by Stuart anyways." Koda peeled off her tee, tossing it into the wire trash can and walking across her room to her closet. "Hey, do you think Scott or Stiles will say anything to the police about me or Brett? It's already bad enough he wasn't ever in the ambulance."

"You're fine, D-, uh, Koda. Stilinski will know but Stiles' dad already knows eveything. On the other hand, Scott won't tell his dad." Derek returned to his place by the couch, catching a glimpse of Dakoda's softly tanned skin. Looking down, he acted as if he hadn't.

"Check your phone," Koda told him, pulling on a Cage The Elephant tee from a concert in the past fall.

Derek's phone dinged twice a moment later, making his eyebrows furrow. Taking it out, he had two new messages from Scott.

Koda surfaced from her room, absently ruffling her hair on her way down the hall that would drive Derek crazy when they were teens.

Derek hesitated to take his eyes away from her, moving them down to his phone.

Scott:

Finding Garret is next big thing for my dad. Koda is clear

Scott: