TWENTY

"Oh my God," Jamal jumps in shock dropping the garbage bag he was holding on the ground.

He comes out of his shock when he sees it's just Beth. "What are you doing here?" He asks picking up the garbage bag and disposing of it.

"You know, I came to a realization we haven't talked in a while," Beth says putting her hands at her back jean pocket.

"That's because we don't talk," putting emphasis, "at all."

Jamal has been around Bailey's far too long to know they are not exactly a friendly bunch until they need to be.

"Well, we should." Beth smiles. A smile so fake anyone can see right through.

"Is this why you cornered me while I am throwing trash?"

"I won't say I cornered you but it will be fun. Me, you and alcohol..." Beth moves close to him as she flirts.

She recalls Jamal having a crush on her when she was in high school but then again everyone had a crush on her.

"Hmmm," Jamal drags. "I don't think that's a good idea, Rudy might break my legs."

Beth rolls her eyes, "It's innocent."

"Why do I get the impression you want to get me drunk?"

Beth gives a dry laugh, "Okay, let's go into the bar."

Jamal shakes his head, "I have a shift now, later tonight?"

Beth really wanted to do it now, get information out of him before he realizes it.

"Sure." She says with a forced smile.

~~~

"Eww, I can't believe she resulted in flirting. That's just embarrassing." Nico says.

Jamal called Nico the minute he got back into the bar to tell him his sister was acting weird.

"Why she obsessing over getting to know what you are up to?" Jamal asks as he signals his co-worker that he is taking a break.  He brings the phone closer to his ear as he moves to the corner of the counter.

"Maybe because her plan solely relies on things staying the way they are. No sudden moves. And sudden moves are kind of my thing. That's why you are going to honor her invite and get her to spill her plans."

"You want me to be a double agent."

"Whatever you call it, just get her to talk."

"And how would I do that?"

"Create a fake plan and present it to her as mine. Send her on a wide goose chase and off my back. And in return have her tell you what she is up to."

"I don't like the sound of this. Your sister can be scary." Jamal shakes his head.

"She's harmless." Nico lies before hanging up.

~~~~

"Gonna drink that?" Beth urges Jamal to take the third shot.

"You don't need to get me drunk to get information out of me," Jamal says, pushing the shot to her side of the table.

"I am not-"

Jamal interrupts, "I don't like what he has planned too. He is way out of his head. I am trying to stop him, maybe you can also try."

Beth sits up with sudden interest, "What is my sneaky brother up to?"

"He wants to sell the auto shop," Jamal says, hoping he sounds convincing.

This is the only thing he can come up with.