Chapter TWENTY EIGHT

Hunter Paxton

I have been in a stupid stunned since we left the doctors office twenty minutes ago.. From the moment I heard that sound..

The gentle rhythmic thud of my unborn child's heartbeat.. I realised there is nothing more important to me than that little jellybean.. Or Kirby..

The silent drive over to where she is supposed to meet with Darby, gives me the sense she is just as awestruck as I am by what we had just witnessed.. And the soft smile of contentment on her lips as she rubs her belly, deep in thought sends a little jolt through my chest..

For the first time since I met the fiesty, fiercely intelligent beauty, she looks happy..

And not the faked, forced, happiness I have seen from her over the last few weeks..

Nah, now.. She is genuinely happy..

And, damn.. It's a good look on her..

As I pull the black Audi into the high rise parking garage, driving to the empty top floor, I kill the engine... A tense quiet settles over us as we sit, waiting for Darby to show.. "So, that was crazy, right?"

When she finally speaks, her voice trembles a little, if it is from nerves or maybe relief.. I can't really tell.. She isn't exactly easy to read.. Which only motivates me, to find out more..

"Ah, yeah.. Fucking insane.. How are you feeling?"

She tips her head back into the smooth leather headrest, closing her eyes with a wistful sigh.. "I always wanted a family, you know?.. A real one.. One that didn't have to keep all these dark secrets.. One that didn't have to run all the time.. Where I could just.. Be myself.."

Guilt smacks me, right in the chest.. The dark secrets, I sure as shit couldn't have prevented..

But the running.. I did that to her..

I chased this woman from every home she tried to create for herself and her young sister.. Instead of helping her.. Like I should have.. All these years, I had made her life a living hell..

The worst part is my motives..

I might have put my reasoning down to her being a ruthless criminal.. And sure, maybe I believed she was.. But that was never the reason I couldn't let her case go.. No, it was for my own selfish sense of pride that I held onto her file all these years ..

It was because I couldn't fucking stand her besting me, again and again.. Disappearing without a trace, when it would take months before I could find her.. She was a challenge to me.. That is why I chased her..

I mean, shit.. Maybe she still is..
After all.. Aren't it still chasing her?..
Even now..

"You deserve as much, Duchess.."

She scoffs, unconvinced.. "I really don't.. You of all people should know that.."

The little jab at both me and herself is brutal.. She still hasn't forgiven me and its not exactly like i'm holding out hope that she ever fully will at this point..

But ever since she built this invisible wall between us, I've been doing my best to accept whatever place it is she will allow me in her life..

Even if its not the place I want..

She lifts her head, turning to pin me with a curious doe-eyed stare.. "What about you?"

I shrug.. "What about me?"

The faintest smile draws up the corners of her lips..

Fuck.. She's so cute..

I can't keep my mind from wandering to those lips and thoughts of kissing them..