Chapter FIFTY ONE

Kirby Carter..

Hunter is standing at the Entrance to his apartment as you and Lacey make your way up the path after returning from the baby-doctor appointment.. He is dressed neatly, in a crisp pair of tan chinos and a grey button down that highlights the blue in his twinkling eyes..

He looks, almost excited.. But you aren't sure..

Maybe nervous?..

"What are you doing down here, Viking?"

You beam at him, bubbles of joy fizzing in your chest..

Stacey steps out from behind him, who since her experience at SPC had wanted a change of pace and a few days ago officially became Axle's nanny.. "Stacey, could you please take Axle and my sister upstairs?.. I need to talk to Kirby.." Hunter asks kindly

Nurse Stacy grins.. "Of course, follow me Miss Paxton.."

You feel like maybe you read the situation wrong...

Has something bad happened?.. "Is everything alright?.."

Stacey takes the baby carrier capsule from your arms with a wink and a grin, ushering a confused Lacey through the door towards the elevator.. "Sure is.. Did ya have a good morning, beautiful?.."

He smiles, brushing a hand back through his hair.. He's acting so strange.. "What?.. Yes, we did.. The pediatrician says Axle is in perfect health and then we visited the most adorable little tea-house.. I may have gone overboard.."

You hold up the fancy paper shopping bag filled with boxes of specialty teas you hadn't been able to resist..

"Anything in there I'd like?.. Or does this stuff taste like grass too?.." He chuckles, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a crinkly packet of jellybeans..

He pops a red one in his mouth with a cheeky grin..

"Hey, no fair!.. Meany.." You pout at his teasing..

He rolls his eyes playfully, plucking a white jellybean from the bag and holding if out for you..

Coconut.. Your favourite..

"Forgive me?"

You carefully take the jellybean with a coy smile.. "Mmmm forgiven.."

He grins.. "So, I wanted to let you know I got a call from Redlend this morning.." He selects another white jellybean, holding it out..

You giggle, accepting it.. "Your CIA friend?.. The one you used to work for?.."

Over the last few weeks, the viking has been opening up to you about everything.. There isn't a question that seems off limits to him any more..

And the more you learn about the man, the more you love him..

His devotion, his courage.. He is fearless and you admire that.. If you could have but a fraction of his strength, you'd be lucky..

"That's the one.." He nods, still grinning that knowing sharky smile..

You pop the jellybean in your mouth, chewing slowly, savouring the sugary sweetness.. "Anyway, we made a deal.. Long story short, the CIA isn't looking for you anymore.. No one is.."

He offers another candy.. You accept it, but now mostly out of habitual response and shock..

How?.. How is this possible?..

"No more IRA.. No more looking over your shoulder.. No more running, Duchess.. It really is over.."

You heave a relieved sigh.. "Oh.. Wow.." Peering up into those stormy grey eyes to see them watching you with adoration.. "Thank you.. Thank you so much.. I-I almost can't believe it.."