Chapter THIRTY THREE

Hunter Paxton

Lacey clearly has no idea what Kriby and I are doing on her doorstep.. And if I'm completely honest, neither do I..

I have no idea how the innocent-eyed pixie that is my sister, will react to our news.. Don't get me wrong, I love Lacey..

But she is like a stranger to me..

Or more like, I am a complete stranger to her..

While she is still the softly spoken, kindhearted doll she was as a child.. I am the one who is changed.. Colder.. Darker.. Corrupted..

"Come in, come in!.. Sorry, it's such a mess, Can I get you guys some coffee, tea?" Lacey fussess..

I shake my head with a grin as she swings wide the front door, revealing a pair of pink pyjama pants, covered in little piglets wearing party hats..

She's so weird.. Its pretty adorable..

Lacey leads us inside, apologising for the state of herself, her dirty blond hair piled in a messy heap atop her head, three pens - all blue - tucked into the haphazard hairstyle..

I smile at her.. "Nah, I'm good, sweetheart.. Kirby loves that green shit though if ya have it.."

The women both throw an amused glance in my direction before grinning at eachother.. "Green tea, you mean? Sure I'll make some.. Do you take it sweet Kirby?.. I always put honey in mine.."

"Yes! Me too! Oh my gosh, have you tried Manuka? That is by far the best!"
Kirby, seeming comfortable and at ease, leaves my side to join her in the kitchen of the Uptown apartment that Lacey brought after downsizing from our childhood home..

Lacey squeals excitedly, pulling a jar of dark amber honey with a fancy black label from the cupboard.. "Oh my god! Look!"

The two of them giggle happily chattering back and forth as if they had known each other for years.. As opposed to having met once.. I watch the exchange, a strange squirming feeling, like a snake pit in my stomach begins to stir, while I try to figure out how it is that Kirby has managed to become my sister's best friend in a matter of seconds..

Casting my eyes around the feminine styled apartment, I can't help but feel comforted.. Much of the furniture in here having once belonged our mother.. Lyra's taste living on through her daughter..

But knowing Lacey is now in a secure building, instead of a house in the low end of the burbs does a lot to ease my mind..

I can't help but smile when my gaze falls to a mass of papers and textbooks scattered about the living room floor. She had been studying.. Working hard.. Like she always does..

Crossing to the sitting area I crouch down to inspect one of the heavy textbooks on Surgical Anatomy..

Gross.. But pretty cool..

I was always amazed by how smart Lacey is.. Like, freaky smart.. When she was younger, she was always that mousy kid with her nose in a book.. I'm happy to see some things haven't changed..

At least there is one Paxton doing Lyra proud..

"I wasn't expecting your visit, Axe.. Its, um.. really nice to see you.." Lacey eyes me as the three of us settled on the couch, Kirby shoots me a narrow-eyed look, prompting me to explain to her why we are here..

Somehow she can sense my apprehension..

Something I would normally be better at hiding I suppose.. But this is important to me, Lacey is my sister.. And Kirby.. Well.. She's my family now too, whether she realises or not.. But I'm hesitant here, because I dont exactly have the best track record when it comes to family..