Chapter FORTY ONE

Kirby Carter

A gentle, feathery-soft voice coaxes you gently out from under a velvety black daze.. "Kirby?.. Kirby, time to wake up sleepyhead.."

Scrunching up your nose you slowly blink your eyes open and closed a few times, Lacey's sweet pixi features slowly coming into focus hovering above you, peering down, she is shrouded by the glow of the white fluorescent lights, glaring like some kind of angelic halo..

She smiles when you lift a hand to rub your watering eyes... "What are you-- What is going on?.."

Its so hard to think or move, both your head feeling so hazy and your limbs heavy as lead weights.

"Hey you.. How are you feeling?.." Lacey coos quietly..

"Ummm?" You turn your head, looking around the familiarity hospital room, realising you are at SPC..

But why?..

You attempt to push through the strange cocktail of sedation, moving to sit up until she stops you with a gentle hand of your shoulder.. "Oh no, no, don't try to get up.. You lost a lot of blood, KC.."

As the fog over your memory begins to thin, you remember the blood.. There had been so much.. More than you've ever seen in your life.. And the pain.. The cramping, constricting pain you felt..

So agonising, you had been sure you were dying..

"Oh, My baby?.. My baby, Lacey.."

Already the tears are welling in your eyes.. She steps closer, hushing you with soothing oceanic sounds.. "Shhshhshhh, everything is okay, Kirby.. The doctors tried to rectify your premature labour but with the risks.. Well, they had to operate.. He's healthy, Kirby.. I mean.. He's very early.. And impossibly tiny.. But he's here, and he's perfect.."

You barely hear any of the part about being operated on..

No, all you care about is your baby is alive.. And he has arrived into the word.. Safe.. "He?.. He's here?!.. He's a boy?!"

Elation overcomes your heart as Lacey steps aside to reveal a kind of, sterile plastic bubble..

But then your stomach churns, this isn't how it was supposed to be..

You turn to your side to peer in at your beautiful jellybean, wanting so badly to hold him in your arms.. "Why is he in there?"

Your voice warbles and cracks under the emotional strain..

"They want to keep him under observation for a few days.. It's just a precaution for him.. Even though he is premature, he is perfectly alright.. I promise.. The doctors here are the best.. You can relax.. Enjoy this moment, momma-bear.."
She pushes the baby's cart a little closer to your bedside so you can better see his adorable squishy face..

Your heart has never felt such fullness.. Such joy.. You can't believe it.. The love you feel in this moment.. It's unexplainable, indescribable.. It's Unbelievable...

Yet, so purely and perfectly right..

The intensity of your emotions overwhelms you, along with the devotion you feel to this incredibly tiny human..

The little person that you made..

You and Hunter.. Together..

"Where is Hunter?.. Why isn't he here?.. Where is Lucky.. And Patrick?.." A sudden awareness creeps into your blissful moment.. There should be so many other happy faces in this hospital room..