Chapter FORTY NINE

Kirby Carter

Darbys eyes turn grey as the light leaves them.. The sick sense of satisfaction you felt in that moment..

You relive it all, again and again..

Until The Vikings low rumbly voice cuts through the strange lucid nightmare.. .... "When mommy wakes up, shes gunna be so happy to see you.. She might even be happy to see me too.. What do ya reckon little man?.."

"Glooo.." A soft, sweet happy gurgle has you blinking your eyes open.. The stark white ceiling hangs high above your fuzzy head..

"Yeah.. I sure hope so buddy.." Hunter chuckles..

Your head feels light and your limbs floaty.. You recognise the familiar dull, dreamlike state of morphine..

Either that or you have died and are now floating on a pillow of clouds.. God, its like heaven.. Not a single pain to be felt..

"Am I dead?.."

You turn your head to see Hunter look up at you, surprised..

"Hey, you.."

You smile at the sight.. He sits in an armchair at the foot of the bed.. A tiny bundle of blankets in his bulging arms.. A soft golden light filters through the sheer drapes, painting shadowy stripes of light across his handsome face, highlighting his beachy blonde locks.. "Hey.."

Your eyes fall to baby Axle and immediately tears begin to well in your eyes.. "Whoa.. Kirby baby, whats wrong?.."

He gets up, coming to settle beside you.. "I never thought I'd see him again.. Or you.."

He smiles, bundling the tiny baby burrito into your arms.. You feel whole.. Warm and gooey inside, blissful.. "I'm sorry it took me so long, Duchess.." He watches you, doting over baby Axle..

Holding him in your arms for the first time is surreal.. The unconditional love that unravels within you is immense as you inhale his sweet, powdery scent you sighs contentedly..

When you look up to see him watching you with shining eyes your heart squeezes.. "What are you apologising for?.. This was all my fault, Hunter.."

He shakes his head..

"Okay, Mr Paxton are you ready to change that bandage?-- Oh! Kirby, wonderful you're awake!" A smiling nurse you recognise from SPC walks through the bedroom door..

Confused you look around the room.. Not a hospital room.. But still familiar.. You recognised it as the main bedroom of Hunters museum-esque apartment..

"Nurse Stacey kindly agreed to assist moving your recovery to a more comfortable environment.. I didn't think you'd want to wake up in the medical centre again.. But I wasn't sure if you'd want me back at your apartment, so I brought you and Axle here.. I, ah.. Hope thats alright.." Hunter explains..

He's so thoughtful.. He always has been.. Its just one of the reasons he's the perfect guy.. Thinking back to your last discussion with him.. Which is was more of an argument only makes you feel like an idiot for pushing him away.. "Thank you.. Its.. Wonderful.."

You look back down to the perfect bundle in your arms.. His tired little eyes growing heavy.. "My heart has never been more full.." You lean back with a sigh..

"Wait.. Stacey, did you say you needed to change something?"

She smiles, crossing to Hunter. "Ah, Yes.. Mr Paxton, is this a bad time?.."