Chapter 6 - Come on, can't you do something?

Sometimes, we create our own heartbreaks through expectations.

- Unknown

"I'm not ready for Potions", Tracey complained as we were enjoying the last few minutes without torture in the courtyard. I noticed a familiar red cloak, so I excused myself and went to talk to Benjamin.

"Hello Benji, long time no see", I smiled as I walked into the hallway. His friend Seamus looked at me with wide eyes for a second before he quickly ran off.

"Don't mind him, he's a bit scared of you", Benjamin chuckled. "He's convinced you're related to Medusa."

"Well, that's not very nice", I frowned. "Why does he think so? I haven't got any snakes sprouting from my scalp, do I?" Benjamin shrugged, sitting down in the window sill and putting his bag between his feet.

"No, he said, and I quote, she is stunning, but I think she can murder with just one look, like Medusa."

"Hmm", I hummed. "That's actually a great compliment. I like that. Tell him I said hi."

"Will do. Are you ready for Potions?" he asked, checking his watch. We still had a couple minutes.

"Two hours of Malfoy? I'd rather have a date with Medusa actually", I groaned.

"Gossipping about me now, Selwyn?" I rolled my eyes as the sound of his voice ruined my day.

"Speak of the devil", I muttered. He stopped right in front of me and looked Benjamin up and down, a grimace creeping onto his face.

"Since when do you hang out with this rubbish?" Malfoy spat.

"Excuse me?" I asked. Benjamin just looked down, avoiding his stern gaze.

"A half-blood, pathetic Gryffindor?" he scoffed. "Thought you had higher standards."

"What gives you the right to insult a person like that?" Malfoy was about to walk on, but I blocked his path and roughly pushed him back.

"Just leave it, Eleanor", Benjamin sighed.

"Oh, I'm certainly not going to leave it. You have no right to treat a person like that for absolutely no reason, Malfoy", I continued.

"I can do whatever the hell I want", Malfoy scowled, pushing my finger away that pricked in his chest.

"No, you can not. I know it's difficult to comprehend through that thick skull of yours, but some people have actual feelings and you do not get to hurt those feelings just for entertainment sake."

"And you don't get to tell me how to live my life. Who do you think you are?"

"A decent human being! I suggest you apologize to Benja-"

"I do not have to apologize to anyone and I suggest you move out of my way." He was infuriating and I so badly wanted to deck his face, but that would result in a furious letter from my mother tomorrow, so I tried to keep my calm.

"You're a disgusting human being, Malfoy", I said, lowering my voice.

"And you're a disgrace. People only respect you because of your last name, but you're not worthy of it. Your ancestors would turn in their graves if they could see the people you hang out with."

With those words, he left, hitting me right where it hurt.

From the moment I was born I had expectations to live up to. There was a ready-made Selwyn mold that I had to push myself into growing up. I was expected to be well-behaved and ambitious and proud and intelligent, but also stuck-up and selfish and haughty.