Ch. 11: Adrenaline?

Dream and I sat in silence for who knows how long. With his mask broken on the ground in front of him, he was obviously not okay.

But he relaxed just the slightest. He was looking through my bag, trying to see if I had anything to repair the strap on his mask with, but I tend to empty my bag of non-essentials every day when I come home.

Not knowing how else to help and noticing that it did help at least a little bit, I stayed behind him with my arms around his shoulders. With my face resting on his shoulder blade, I listened to the shaky in and out of his breath through his back.

"Dream?"

"Yes?"

"Are you okay?" I asked quietly, pulling my face away from his shoulder.

Dream didn't answer me, enough of an answer.

Instead, he swore under his breath again and shoved my bag back to me.

"Dream, it's okay." I soothed, moving my arms to rub his shoulders in hopes that would help.

"It's not." Dream's response was clipped, shaky like his breathing.

"It's just a mask, Dream."

"It's not JUST a mask, okay? It's...it's part of me. It's part of who I am. You don't get it." Dream ranted, picking the mask up and shoving it in his bag roughly.

Sighing softly, I continued rubbing his shoulders gently as he closed up his bag. "I would like to understand." I offered, to which Dream's response was to once more bury his hands under his hood.

"Stop doing that, you have a sprained wrist." Dream suddenly said, trying to shrug off my injured hand that I had surprisingly forgotten about until then.

The adrenaline from the fight mixed with the worry for him because of getting clipped with an arrow and reacting this way about his mask seemed to numb me to my injury until that point.

"I'm alright, Dream. I'm more worried about you." I answered honestly to his rebuff, but Dream being the stubborn man he is didn't seem to care about that.

"You're going to make it worse." Dream said, reaching back and taking my forearm and pulling it around his side until my bad wrist was in front of him.

He didn't get both hands though, so I kept rubbing his back with my free one.

"You are so stubborn." Dream muttered, enunciating each word.

"I learned from the best." I teased, patting his shoulder with a small laugh.

My confidence soared when I heard the faintest snort of a laugh from him in response, his fingertips grazing over the skin above my brace.

"Go back to base. I'll be back when my mask is fixed." Dream said suddenly, completely catching me by surprise.

"What?"

"Go back-"

"No, I heard you, but what about you?" I asked since he still hasn't told me if he got cut when his mask was sliced or not.

"I'm fine stop worrying so much. Your wrist is hurt, so you shouldn't be out here. Why did you even come out here to begin with?" Dream asked, tugging his hood closer to his head with the hand that wasn't on my bad arm.

"I came after you. I wanted to make sure you were okay." I answered, hearing him sigh shakily again when I leaned forward and pressed my forehead to his shoulder.

"And got held at crossbow point because you weren't paying attention." Dream pointed out sassily, ignoring my huff of annoyance as he continued. "You could have been killed."