Chapter Forty-Two

Pressing my lips together, I brought my feet closer to my self as I reached out moving the knight across the board. Glancing up at Derek with a slight smile, I watched as he realised that there was no other way out. It was like watching someone go from so relaxed to completely and utterly crushed (well that was exactly what I was watching). Finally sighing, he reached over knocking over his king.

We were both sat on the floor in front of the board.

"You're getting sneaky," he said, and the smile fell through.

Offering a shrug, I began to shift the pieces back into their original positions, "or you're just getting bad," I countered. "Maybe it's the old age," I added on with a joke.

"Old age? You're only three years younger, Grace."

"Exactly, and I'm positive that in three years time I'll be just as bad as you," I mocked. He hummed for a second before nodding.

"You're right, I just have such old tired bones," I nodded looking back down to the board, a small laugh falling from my lips, "so how about I show you how tired and weak they are."

It took a few seconds before the words processed in my mind, "wait, what?" Before I even got chance to look up, he'd leapt over the board knocking everything over and I was tackled to the floor, "hey, no, no, no, no," I urged as he began a strange onslaught of tickling me.

"Still think I have weak old tired bones?" He asked.

"Dam you, Derek Hale!"

Bringing the bottle of vodka closer to my mouth, a grimace fell on my lips at the taste of it. The problem with alcohol was that since becoming a werewolf it didn't work. It didn't work at all. I was currently sat on my uncles boat, his name was Dan. He'd been the brother to my father and he was lovely. Strange but lovely. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like if I'd stayed with him instead of Noah. It had been in both my parents will that I'd go to live with Noah - I have no idea why. If I'd stayed in Scotland instead of going to Beacon Hills. This alcohol would be doing its job that was for sure.

We were gently rocking side to side from the crash of the waves, I'd had to don a red rain coat which truly brought back the most strangest of memories from my childhood. We'd always wear rain coats on the boats and as a child mine would never fit. We'd always have to roll up the sleeves a hundred times just so I could use my hands. And then there was the fact none of them would ever trust me so not only would I have the largest life jacket they could possibly find, but also a collection of arm bands.

I must have been a right sight as a child.

The problem now was that I was on a time crunch. The supernatural were attacking my family for a fourth time and I needed to decide if I was going to help or not. If I was going to jump in and risk my life again. So that brought the question; was it worth it?

"It's a... it's a beautiful sky, isn't it," Dan said. You always think you have a strong accent until you hear someone else. I think if I wasn't used to his voice then I wouldn't even be able to understand him.

"Hmm?" I asked, and he pointed up at the blue sky above us (a rarity in the United Kingdom).

"It's a nice day," he repeated, and I nodded with a sigh.

"Yeah, I suppose it is," I mused, still not understanding what he was doing.

He walked back towards me taking a seat beside me. Something was going on. Something wrong and strange and weird was going on and I didn't understand it. "So then, what can I do for ya lass?" He asked, and I raised my brow looking at him confused, "what are you here for?" What was he trying to say?