Chapter Fifty-Seven

Hearing a knock at the loft door, I jumped down from the few steps to get to it whilst smoothing out my hair just in case. I probably looked a mess anyway but that's beside the point. By looking a mess I mean I was wearing jeans, a pair of yellow fuzzy socks, and one of Derek's t-shirts since he ripped the last one I had (which I'm getting ever so slightly angry at since that has been the third one this week).

Swinging open the door, everything froze upon seeing a woman in front of me. She was beautiful. I also recognised her. I don't know how I recognised her, but I recognised her. "Hello," I greeted.

"I've come to speak to Peter and Derek." She had a gun on her.

Biting down on the inside of my cheek, I stepped to the side and gestured for her to enter.

She sat down on the sofa in front of Peter and Derek and whilst I didn't want to join them because I didn't know what was going on, I also wanted to keep my presence apparent. Her first action was to put her feet up on the coffee table - slightly disrespectful but I suppose when it came to the supernatural no-one ever respected anyone else's things.

"That table's Italian," Peter reminded and Braeden shrugged.

"So are these boots," she said and Derek's head fell to the floor to hide his laugh. I'm not sure who I should be keeping my eye on since that's the case. Peter looked to her unamused and just this once I agreed with him, "Are we going to talk interior design and fashion, or are we going to talk numbers?"

Braeden wrote down a number before shoving it across the table and Peter took one look at it before sliding it back, "we're hiring you to find Kate, not assassinate the president," he scoffed.

"I was hired by the Calaveras to find Kate. You're hiring me to find her first. Going against the Calaveras is what's going to cost you," Braeden admitted. Could we trust a woman who was openly admitting that she's going against one of her clients? I certainly did not trust her. Never trust someone who goes into strangers home and makes themselves comfortable especially if they put their boots on the table. Braeden slid the paper across the table again.

"We'll pay. Just find Kate. That's all we want," Derek snapped, growing impatient with it all and I couldn't help but narrow my eyes as I looked over to him. Something was wrong, I know finding Kate was important but this was just suspicious.

Braeden soon left and the moment she did Peter turned to look at Derek. He wasn't happy over the amount of money Derek had offered to pay. I hadn't seen the figure myself but from how large it was I knew it was going to be costly.

"Are you insane?" Peter asked as Derek pushed himself up from the sofa and headed towards the table.

"We don't have a choice. We spent a week looking for her, and came up with nothing."

"If we don't find out who told Kate about the vault, we don't get those bonds back. What do you think I'm gonna do then, huh? Get a job? My resume is slightly out of date! We got robbed, Derek. Robbed!" Peter shouted and Derek whirled around with a roar, except just like before his eyes were glowing yellow. It shut Peter up. "Oh... that's a new look for you. What happened to your eyes?"

"I don't know... But I'm willing to pay to find out."

Once Peter was gone, I stepped closer to Derek who was sitting down on the sofa and I fell onto it beside him. "So..." I began, not knowing how to find my words. Something was going on. Something was happening and once more I didn't understand it. "Your eyes...are they stuck like that?"

"I don't know," he admitted and there was exhaustion in his voice that I hadn't encountered before. "I've no idea what it is or what it's going to do," he added on and I nodded but didn't say anything. Was there something I was supposed to say to that? The silence lasted years. "Maybe we could go to Brazil."