(2) I really don't want to leave you.

Artemisia's POV

I wake up late into the afternoon and sigh into my pillow. I get ready for the day and decide to stay in my pajamas.

Outfit:

Really? Are you going to go out looking like that? You're right! I'll put my hair into a bun

Really? Are you going to go out looking like that? You're right! I'll put my hair into a bun. And for the record, I'd definitely go out in these pajamas. I think they're cute and comfy.

I step out of my room and head to the kitchen. Everyone is busy setting up in the ballroom, so I make myself some pancakes.

Are we really going to the ball to mingle? I kind of want to just go for the food. We can drop by and then dip after we get those cupcakes. Sure. No one said I wasn't allowed to go to the ball, and I doubt anyone would notice me.

After eating, I return to my room and respond to some work emails. Someone knocks on my door, and I see Lana holding a beautiful dress.

Outfit:

"I'm here to get you ready!" Lana says excitedly

"I'm here to get you ready!" Lana says excitedly. "Thoughts on this dress? If you don't like the flowers, there's a plain version!"

"I love it! The arm thing is odd, but I'm sure it won't matter when I wear it. You have a good eye when it comes to fashion." I complimented, remembering she constantly critiqued my outfits when I was in high school.

"You're all grown up now and still look stunning." She says, pretending to tear up.

"Stop... You're in your early thirties, not fifties." I say, laughing.

She rolls her eyes and says, "Whatever. Let's get you all dressed up for the mating ball."

I freeze and look up. "It's a mating ball? Like the one specifically for people looking for their mate...?" I ask, feeling weirded out about attending. I never went to one when I was younger because I was kicked out before turning 18.

"Duh... That's why we're serving a lot more food than usual." She says, laying the dress down on my bed.

"I just assumed it was one of those random gatherings Janice planned to show off that she's wealthy," I say, deciding I should shower before I get ready.