chapter 22

dakota's p.o.v

"hellooo." aubrey calls as i walk in the room. i shut the door behind me and drop my keys on the dresser. i notice she is unpacking a few things.

"hey." i say as i walk over to my bed. i take a few things out of my backpack and relax against my pillow. "how was your day?"

"good but uneventful." she chuckles. "my family is pretty boring." she hangs up a shirt and drops her bag in the closet. "yours?" she looks back at me.

"it went good." i respond, seeing my phone light up next to me. i pick it up and see lucy already texted me. she said she just wanted to tell me she loved me. i smile, typing back.

"you seem happier than when you left." she points out. i put my phone back down, trying not to be rude as she walks over to my bed. she takes a seat on the edge near me.

"yeah." i nod my head, sitting up. "lucy and i talked. it was a misunderstanding." i tell her, watching her still keep the same straight face on.

"misunderstanding?" she squints here eyes making me think she's irritated. she looks majorly confused.

"yeah, turns out that she didn't go somewhere with jade. she went to get me a promise ring." i lift my hand so its in view of her. as her eyes catch it, she sucks in a breath and does not exhale. she takes her eyes off of it and looks down at her lap.

"that must be a relief." she says quieter. i sigh, nodding my head even though she can't see it.

"yeah." i chuckle awkwardly. "i shouldn't of doubted her." i take another look at it, never getting enough of the shining piece of jewelry.

"can i ask you something?" she looks back up at me, not looking very happy.

"yeah." i respond.

"why did you doubt her?" she asks, intertwining her hands in her lap.

"i-i don't know." i stutter. "i guess because she has been spending a lot of time with jade but she's her roommate. i can't help that. and jade seems so lonely, i can't be mad at lucy for being so kind and helpful towards someone." i tell her honestly, watching her face morph into more confusion and a sort of disgust.

"is she really just being kind?" she asks, giving me a 'are you dumb?' look.

"yes, i know that now." i tell her sternly.

"jade is a tricky one." she says quickly. "she might feel something for lucy if she's all over her needing help." she shrugs at me.

the last time aubrey told me something, she was very wrong. now it just sounds like she is trying to get into my head. she can't seriously be telling me all of this because she feels bad.

"thanks aubrey, but i trust lucy. i was so wrong to not trust her before." i give her a nice smile before looking down at my phone and opening my computer on my bed. i glance up for a moment and see her looking into the room at nothing.

i mind my own business, pulling up some work on my computer as aubrey keeps put on my bed. when will she get up? i won't tell her to get up because that's rude but still.

"remember what i told you a while ago? in the beginning of the year?" she asks looking back at me. i raise my head to look at her, furrowing my eyebrows.

"are you talking about-"

"yes." she interrupts me, knowing exactly that i know what she's talking about.

"well, yes." i tell her gently.

"that's not why i'm telling you this." she says to me, shaking her head lightly.