Preparation for the ball (p30)

After Harry had victoriously completed the first task there had been a lot of celebration and it seemed like over half the school had completely forgotten about their anger towards him in the first place. I was sitting with Neville in the great hall reading the Daily prophet during breakfast one morning.

"Nev, look at this rubbish," I told him pointing at one page of the daily prophet containing a picture of Hermione, Harry, Cedric, and I hugging in the tent.

"Miss y/l/n the lucky girl, seems to be developing a taste of famous wizards like Miss Granger, she was seen praying upon the handsome Cedric Diggory. It's a tragic story when she'll have to decide where her loyalty lies between the two Hogwarts champions." Neville read aloud and laughed.

"It's nothing but a load of rubbish!" I spat angrily. "Now let's see if Draco doesn't make a big fuss about this," I told him, he was the only one who I had told about the kiss at the first task.

Neville cleared his throat and muttered under his breath "Speaking of the devil."

I turned and saw Draco walking in and coming towards me wearing no particular expression. I stood up from my seat and we were face to face. I saw him look down at the paper. "So I'm guessing you've read it." I gestured at the newspaper.

"mhm...although I didn't particularly enjoy it, I know Skeeter writes nothing but a load of rubbish..." He then came closer and whispered in my ear "And given that kiss, you gave me afterwar the picture was taken I know who you were really praying on." his breath sent shivers down my spine. He then walked away with a smirk spread across his face leaving me speechless.

________

It was a week to the yule ball, half of our classes had been canceled one day and we were asked to gather in the great hall. Gryffindors and Slytherins were gathered at the same time and Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws at another. As soon as we walked into the hall boys and girls were asked to sit on opposite sides. We all sat down and McGonagall began explaining.

"The yule ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard tournament since it's inception. On Christmas eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the whole school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward and I mean this literally because the yule bull is first and foremost a dance." People around erupted in loud whispers of excitement.

McGonagall called for silence before proceeding. "I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling bumbling band of baboons!" I was distracted from the rest of McGonagall's speech after noticing Fred and George repeating "babbling bumbling band of baboons" over and over again.

They saw me trying to stifle a laugh and mouthed 'try it' to me which resulted in all three of us trying to say it over and over again from across the hall. Our attention was drawn back though when McGonagall called Ron to the center for a demonstration, Harry and Seamus pushing him forward for encouragement. I instantly began giving stifled laughs.

"Now place your left hand on my waist," McGonagall instructed Ron.

"Where?!" Ron asked shocked.

"My waist," McGonagall repeated and Ron did as instructed.

Fred, George and Draco whistled at the pair which only made me laugh even more. Filch then began playing music and Ron and McGonagall swayed along. After a while, everyone was asked to the center. Girls got up from their seats immediately and stepped forward but the boys looked a little more reluctant. I waited for Draco to come forward but he too stayed on his spot. I then saw Neville get up and he locked eyes with me looking excited and I stepped forward and joined him dancing but it seems like that was enough motivation for Draco and some of the rest of the boys to step forward.

"Find yourself someone else, Longbottom," Draco told him as he shoved him aside and replaced him in front of me instead. Luckily Neville took it well and ended up dancing with Ginny.

"Took you a while," I told Draco as we danced.

"Shut up," He said and we both laughed.

I began staring around looking at all the couples dancing around us and I felt Draco staring right at me. "What-" I asked him turning back around to look at him.

"Nothing, just admiring." He said with a huge smile. I blushed and looked away. "y/n, will you be my girlfriend?" He whispered.

I looked up and locked eyes with him in shock. I leaned in and gave him a long kiss which caused us to receive whistles from Fred and George and a couple more people around the hall. I laughed and rested my head on Draco's shoulder.

"I'm guessing that means yes," he asked half laughing.

"Yes. I would love to." I answered.

--------

We had been allowed to go down to Hogsmeade the next day and Hermione, Ginny, and I had decided we were going to look for dresses for the yule ball. We had spent hours looking for dresses and Ginny and Hermione had found some for themselves but I simply couldn't seem to find one that I liked enough. The only one that I fell in love with though was a black long dress but it was way over my price range so I dismissed it. In the end, we ended up going back and I decided I would simply wear the dress that I had bought from home.

Once we got up to the Gryffindor Tower we all made our way back upstairs to put everything away. And I found a long black box with green lace on my bed. I got closer to it and Ginny and Hermione gathered around me to see what it was as well. I grabbed the note attached to it and opened it for everyone to see.

I saw you admiring it today, I think you'd look beautiful in it and I have a suit that matches it perfectly. 

yours truly, Draco Malfoy.

After reading the note Hermione took it from me and she and Ginny began squealing behind me.

"Open it!" They both screamed at me in unison.

I untied the ribbon on the box and opened the box to reveal the exact black dress I had fallen in love with back at Hogsmeade. I held it up and just looked at it in awe.

 I held it up and just looked at it in awe

I thought it was the perfect dress. I particularly liked the fact that it covered up my collarbone scar since I hadn't fully accepted it yet. I saw Hermione and Ginny also stare at the dress in awe. 

"Try it on." Ginny asked eagerly 

"YES!" Hermione encouraged me. 

"Fine." I said and I ran into the bathroom and put it on. I walked out and saw Ginny and Hermione look at me with their jaws open. I turned to look at myself in the mirror and I felt my eyes water at the emotions I was feeling. I hadn't felt that beautiful in a long time and no one had ever done a gesture like this one for me. 

"I'm gonna go find Draco," I told the girls and ran into the bathroom to change before running out of the room.