Chapter Eleven, Gwaine

The next morning Merlyn awoke with the rising sun, climbing reluctantly out of her bed stretching as she went. Slipping out of her nightgown, she placed it in the hamper with yesterday's clothes to be washed at some point today, before changing into her undergarments, some stockings, a white dress and mauve over-dress. Humming, she ran a brush through her hair before tying her usual side braid with a ribbon her mother had given her. Once satisfied she slipped on her brown boots and went to relieve her Uncle.
"Gaius. Gaius, Gaius." Merlyn whispered, gently shaking him awake as she crouched by his chair.
"Oh! Merlyn, you're up." Gaius said tiredly.
"Why don't you go get some rest? I'll check on Gwaine and do this morning's rounds for you." Merlyn suggested.

"What about Arthur?" Gaius asked.
"I'll deal with Arthur, don't worry. How was Gwaine?" She asked, concerned.
"Fine. He had a slight fever but that's normal and it broke before midnight. Thank you, dear girl." Gaius said, getting up from his chair.
"Sweet dreams Uncle." Merlyn wished, as she cleaned his wound and changed the bandages before she started on breakfast for her and Gwaine. Merlyn had just finished both breakfasts when she heard a voice behind her startling her that she almost dropped Gwaine's breakfast but luckily managed to catch it, aided by her magic.
"Where am I?" Gwaine asked suddenly. "Sorry I didn't mean to startle you." He apologised, as Merlyn came over with his breakfast a slight blush to her cheeks. "What am I doing I'm this bed?" He asked, confused.
"You were wounded. Arthur and I brought you back to Camelot so I could treat you with my Uncle." Merlyn whispered, pointing to where Gaius's slumbering form lay on the bed behind the screen, his snores filling the room.

"Arthur? The man you were with? Thank you." Gwaine said, sitting up and taking a sip of his drink. "Wait, Camelot as in Prince Arthur?"
"Yes, you saved his life yesterday." Merlyn said, taking a seat in Gaius's vacated chair.
"Now I know why it's complicated." Gwaine muttered. "But if I'd known who he was, I probably wouldn't have. He's a Noble." He added at Merlyn's confused look.
"Yeah, but he's also a good man." Merlyn argued as she ate her own breakfast.
"If you say so." Gwaine laughed. "Although, I suppose he would have to be to garner your affections, eh Merlyn?" He teased making Merlyn blush and look down at her food.
"Anyway," Merlyn said, changing the subject. "You're a hero. The King wants to thank you in person." She said, causing Gwaine to choke a little on his drink.