Chapter Twenty, The Damage of the Crystal

"Merlyn!" Gwaine shouted, ceasing his pacing in the courtyard and running over to her, sweeping her arm into his arms. A frown marred his features when he felt how tense she was in his arms even though she held on to him tightly. Looking up he raised an eyebrow at Arthur who just looked lost and confused.
"Are you both alright, Sir?" Sir Leon asked worriedly.
"We're fine thanks to Merlyn." Arthur replied, only to sigh when that still did not get a reaction out of his love. "What about you two?"
"Sir Anghard was injured but Gaius says he should make a full recovery." Sir Leon explained, as Gwaine was too preoccupied with checking over Merlyn like a big brother would.
"Good. Good." Arthur said, nodding his head. "I gather father will have organised a Council meeting for when we arrive?"

"Yes, Sire." Sir Leon agreed, leading the way to the Chambers and filling Arthur in on everything after they got separated. Once everyone had arrived and Uther had started the Council meeting Arthur explained what had happened to him and Merlyn (leaving out Merlyn using magic obviously), when they got separated from the Knights to a very tense Uther and Council members.
"The bandits probably have a stronghold somewhere in the White Mountains." Arthur explained. "We only escaped thanks to Merlyn. I had been injured and she nursed me back to health, or at least until I was fit enough to make the walk back from the Valley of the Fallen Kings."
Gwen nudged Merlyn, a wide smile on her face, feeling proud of her friend, only to frown when she showed no reaction. Something had happened to Merlyn and she dreaded to think what it could be.

"Dispatch a patrol." Uther ordered, showing no sign of praising Merlyn, to Arthur's fury. "I want these men caught and brought to justice."
"Of course, father." Arthur agreed in a tight voice.
"For a moment we feared you might miss Lady Morgana's birthday." Uther said, slapping Arthur on the shoulder as he and Morgana walked up to Arthur dismissing the Council.
"It'll take more than a bunch of thieves to keep me from such a feast." Arthur commented.
"Tomorrow promises to be quite a night." Uther agreed.

Once Gaius, Gwaine and Merlyn reached their chambers, along with Arthur a few minutes later. Merlyn had a nice hot bath to clean up and to hopefully relax while Gwaine helped Gaius prepare their dinner and Arthur filled them in on what he could, determinedly keeping his back to the screen that shielded a bathing Merlyn from his view. But once Merlyn was dressed again and sat at the table with Arthur, Gaius and Gwaine she just played with her food while pinching the bridge of her nose.
"Merlyn, whatever is the matter?" Gaius asked, concerned with her despondent behaviour.